History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Sittingbourne, Kent

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3566 / 51°21'23"N

Longitude: 0.6733 / 0°40'23"E

OS Eastings: 586229

OS Northings: 165342

OS Grid: TQ862653

Mapcode National: GBR QRL.WKD

Mapcode Global: VHJM3.M59C

Plus Code: 9F329M4F+J8

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1069347

English Heritage Legacy ID: 176164

Location: Newington, Swale, Kent, ME9

County: Kent

District: Swale

Civil Parish: Newington

Built-Up Area: Newington

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(north side)

2/23 Church of St. Mary

Parish church. C13 chancel, C14 nave, C15 tower, restored 1862.
Flint, with banded knapped flint and squared ragstone in tower,
with plain tiled roofs. Nave with separately roofed aisles and south
porch, chancel and south chapel, truncated north east tower and
west tower. Four-stage offset diagonal buttresses to tower, with
2 string courses, battlements and south-west octagonal stair
turret. C19 west door in reset doorway, c. 1300, with attached
shafts, double roll-moulded surround and hollow chamfered hood
mould. West window C15 of 3 lights and 6 over, with single lights
to 2nd and 3rd stages and 2-light belfry opening. South aisle with
corner buttresses, battlements. Restored early C14 reticulated
windows and lean-to porch with roll moulded and hollow chamfered
doorway. South chapel plastered, without battlements, with restored
string -course and C19 curvilinear windows, buttressed and with
corner buttresses at east end. East end basically C19, with string
course, corner buttresses, south east window of 3 lights and 3 roses
over, with blocked C18 keyed brick arched doorway. East window C19
3 light and Y-traceried. North east chapel, now vestry, the base
of C13 tower, with restored lancets, one with Roman tile surrounds
North aisle C14 roughly coursed flint with 3 offset buttresses,
three 2 light windows with quatrefoils over and plain chamfered
north doorway. Interior: tall tower arch, roll moulded and hollow
chamfer on attached octagonal-capped shafts, with double hollow-
chamfered surround. Four bay nave arcades to north and south aisles,
double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Roof of 4 crown posts
in nave with 2 mullioned clerestory lights, roof of 5 crown posts in
north aisle, and staggered purlin roof in south aisle. C15 double-
chamfered chancel arch. Chancel with rood stair door in south pier,
2 plain arches through to south chapel with central square pier,
scalloped, with attached and crocketed shafts, c. 1200. Hollow
tomb recess through to south chapel, blocked lancet to south east,
remnant of lancet reveal to north, and hollow chamfered and double-
roll moulded door to north-east tower (vestry). South chapel roof
of early crown post with stiff-leaf carved wall plates and tie-
beams. Fittings: square piscina in chancel,ogee-headed piscina in
south chapel and cusped piscina by south door. Altar rails of c. 1700.
Chandelier, C18, brass, in 2 stages, 8 at top and 12 below. Altar,
C17, in south aisle, with reredos of mid C17 linenfold panels
separated by balusters and decorated with foliage. South chapel
altar with cornice and shield for reredos. Also in south chapel
a bench c. 1500, poppyheads with animal carvings. Octagonal font
with mid C16 tall fixed octagonal cover, foliated baluster columns,
strap work, but Perpendicular crown. Two panels hinged to allow
access to font. Mid C16 parish chest, massive timbers, strapped
bands and double lock. Many floor tiles survive. Monuments: in
south chapel, shrine to St. Robert le Bouser, large slab of marble
on arcade of 4 deep, trefoiled recessed, erected c. 1350 by Lesnes
Abbey, patrons of the church. Also in the south chapel wall monument
to Joseph Hasted d. 1732, grandfather of the Kent Historian who
died from chill caught at his grandchild's christening. Grey
marble sarcophagus on black obelisk, with large rounded base.
In the chancel, wall monument, Sir John Brook d. 1594. Kneeling
armoured figure at lectern in coffered alcove with architectural
surrounds, Corinthian capitals, coved frieze with fruit, cornice,
achievement in scrolled panel and pediment. Brasses: William
Monde(17½ in) and John Sayer (8½ in) 1483 in north aisle; Anne,d. 1580,
widow of Sir John Norton and also Sir John Brook (viz.
monument in chancel) and 2 sons (17 in). Francis Holbrook,
d. 1581 (18 in) with his 2 wives and 13 children. Mary Brook d. 1600
(17 in),inscription. Wall paintings: over entire north aisle and
also in tomb recess in south aisle, adated c. 1340 (Tristram). Sub-
jects include Last Judgement, the Nativity, with Saints Andrew,
John,Paul, Peter and Margaret in window splays. (See BOE Kent II
1983 401-2, and Kent Life, 1975, article by H.R. Pratt Boorman.)

Listing NGR: TQ8592964844

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.