This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1823 / 51°10'56"N
Longitude: 1.253 / 1°15'10"E
OS Eastings: 627440
OS Northings: 147594
OS Grid: TR274475
Mapcode National: GBR W0S.ZHN
Mapcode Global: VHLH3.NKR0
Entry Name: Church of St Pancras
Listing Date: 22 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1069988
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178623
Location: Shepherdswell with Coldred, Dover, Kent, CT15
Civil Parish: Shepherdswell with Coldred
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 24 NE
SHEPERDSWELL AND COLDRED
CHURCH ROAD (west side)
Church of St. Pancras
Parish Church. Saxon, altered C11, with some C14 and C15 fenestration. South porch of 1890. Restored 1866, 1890 and 1923. Chancel south and east walls and nave north wall rendered, elsewhere built of coursed flint, sometimes laid herring-bone fashion. Banded tiled roof. Chancel and nave with north vestry, south porch and western bellcote.
Saxon evidence includes single splayed windows with heads moulded from single stone in west wall, with small roundel over, and nave and chancel north walls, and flint quoins, in part replaced by ashlar blocks. Two C14 window nave and C15 two light chancel south wall. C19 decorated style east window. South porch dated 1890, arcaded wooden structure on flint base, with simple chamfered C14 doorway, (with original door?) with fragment of earlier zig-zag moulding over. North vestry of 1890, with double lancet, chimney and reset medieval dedication cross. West bell turret originally C14, rebuilt early C20.
Interior: nave with roof of three simple crown posts; chancel with C19 trussed rafter roof. Curious rectangular opening above north door into vestry. Chancel stepped in, no arch. East window reveal with chamfered elliptical head and brought all way down to floor, with inserted C19 window. Fittings: aumbrey in nave north wall, otherwise all C19, with simple twisted baluster altar rail with fleur-de-lys brackets, two cast iron lamp brackets and two wrought iron candle brackets in chancel, bench piers, pulpit and octagonal font, all C19. C14 bell in chancel removed 1939 from bellcote. Brass inscription on chancel south wall to William Fyntch, Gent. d.1615. Monument to Edward Pettit, Vicar of Sheperdswell and Coldred (a combined living from 1584 to 1910). Oval wall plaque within bolection moulded panel with broken pediment and cartouche over, and winged death's head and cartouches on apron. The only other dedication to St. Pancras in Kent of six in the whole country) is in the very early Saxon Church of St. Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury.
Coldred Church stands within an earthwork of indeterminate, but possibly Roman date.
Listing NGR: TR2736947546
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings