This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.132 / 51°7'55"N
Longitude: 1.2508 / 1°15'2"E
OS Eastings: 627537
OS Northings: 141994
OS Grid: TR275419
Mapcode National: GBR W1C.YX4
Mapcode Global: VHLH9.MTM2
Plus Code: 9F3347J2+Q8
Entry Name: Ruins of St Radegund's Abbey (The Uninhabited Portions)
Listing Date: 22 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070023
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178596
Location: Hougham Without, Dover, Kent, CT15
Civil Parish: Hougham Without
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 24 SE HOUGHAM ABBEY ROAD
Ruins of St.
22.8.62 Radegund's Abbey
Monastic ruins. C13. Rubble and ashlar, flint. At present forming the
entrance gate-house and forecourt to St. Radegund's Farmhouse, the remains
represent the cloister of the Premonstratensian Abbey of St. Radegund.
Tower of 3 storeys, the topmost ruinous, of coursed flint, decorated
with triangular ashlar blocks. Two large offset buttresses with central
C16 red brick semi-circular arch, and 4 chamfered lights on first floor.
Interior: tripartite plan, the side chambers with chamfered and moulded
arches and springer for vaulting. Originally the tower of the church,
set in re-entrant angle of nave and north transept. The earlier ashlar
west wall of the north transept on left return of tower with responds of
chapel and north chancel aisle arcade. Connecting wall from tower south
to Farmhouse, with 4 openings, 2 blocked, with moulded and chamfered
arches, originally shafted, with round capitals and water holding bases.
These were the doorways to the chapter house, portions of which, and the
adjoining south chapels of the church survive to the east of the connecting
wall (cloister east wall). To south and east of the tower further portions
of masonry survive, in part to full height, cut through especially c.1590,
representing remains of nave of church with moulded doorway to tower and
with the remains of cellarer's building and guesthouse, forming west range
of cloister, with the north gable end of this range surviving full height,
with lancets, and range of deep rere-arches to ground floor lancets along
long wall. The standing buildings are surrounded by extensive earthworks,
a scheduled Ancient Monument, with isolated blocks of masonry, the most
extensive of which is a length of walling, about 30 metres north-east of
the tower/gatehouse, about 6 feet high, running about 10 metres north-
east, and returned about 30 metres south-east. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983,
439-440; see also W. St. John Hope, Arch. Cant., 14, 1882). For history
of Abbey see main entry on St. Radegund's Abbey Farmhouse.
Listing NGR: TR2764342124
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings