This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1744 / 51°10'27"N
Longitude: 1.3448 / 1°20'41"E
OS Eastings: 633895
OS Northings: 146999
OS Grid: TR338469
Mapcode National: GBR X2F.BSR
Mapcode Global: VHLH5.8R83
Entry Name: Marston Hall and Outhouses with Donkey Wheel
Listing Date: 22 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070057
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178471
Location: Langdon, Dover, Kent, CT15
Civil Parish: Langdon
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 34 NW LANGDON MARTIN
2/32 Marston Hall and
22.8.66 Donkey Wheel
House and outbuildings. Late C16, rebuilt and extended mid C18 and
mid C19. Red brick, coursed flint and timber framed, the main elevation
rendered and tile hung. Plain tiled roofs, with slate roofed extension.
Three storeys, the upper 2 tile hung with parapet to hipped roof and stacks
to rear left and rear right. Regular fenestration of 3 glazing bar
sashes on second floor, 2 tripartite and central single glazing bar sash
on first floor, and 2 tripartite glazing bar sashes on ground floor.
Central door of 6 panels with semi-circular fanlight in rendered surround.
Projecting C19 room to right with 2 glazing bar sashes on each face and
basement openings. Two storey wing to right, red brick in English bond
on flint and brick plinth, with plat band raised in places, and half
hipped roof with large stack to left. Blocked door and window, both
segmentally headed and moulded brick surround on right return. Rear
elevation of flint with moulded brick weathering to plinth and some
dressed stone blocks. L shaped 1 storey outhouses to rear, the range
adjoining the house C18, but with brewhouse c.1700 of irregular bond
brickwork on flint plinth. C18 range at right angles built on top of
pre-existing boundary wall, with 4 boarded doors to various rooms.
Interior: chamfered and stopped stone doorway and chalk lined cellars
(extended by C18 barrel vaulted cellar) and probably the lower 2 storey
wing service from c.1599 house. Simple late C18 plaster cornice and
friezes and simple dogleg stair with unturned balusters with some
contemporary doors and fittings, with neoclassical fireplace and elliptical
side arches in dining room. Mantel in study made of moulded C16 beam
incorporating datestone found in cellar; IIM 1559: (John and Isabella
Marsh). The outhouses were utilised largely for brewing and baking
purposes, and much of the original layout and features survive, including
the coalhouse or wood shed adjacent to the main oven, with domed bread
oven,storage space around the stack for drying the kindling material,
iron meat racks and 2 coppers, one of 40 gallons, one of 90 gallons and
stone salting sink. Leaden hand pumps drew water from underground rain-
fed tank. Lead pipes also lead direct from brewhouse to cellars, where
the brew originally was fermented, casked and stored. Re-used stop
chamfered tie beam, and moulded dias beam now used as wall plate. In
adjacent building is the Donkey Wheel, mid C18, a fine structure in full
working order, with treadwheel, the cross-braces reinforced with iron
straps and chamfered and moulded, with winding drum over now capped 260
feet deep well. Originally carrying 80 gallon bucket, the water was
dropped into a 4 foot square floor tank, and pumped thence either to
the brewhouse, or direct to cisterns in the attic of the main house to
provide running water. Contemporary doors and fittings; the wheel
supporting structure also provides one wall structure of the outbuilding.
C18 outhouse range includes original stores and dairy. Originally a
grange of Langdon Abbey, the house was purchased by the tenants on
dissolution (the Marsh family) John Marsh rebuilt about 1599, and James
Jekens pulled down and rebuilt the house ("of stone and brick of no great
antiquity") c.1750's. (See Hasted IX 554).
Listing NGR: TR3388446998
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings