This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1422 / 51°8'31"N
Longitude: 1.2798 / 1°16'47"E
OS Eastings: 629512
OS Northings: 143220
OS Grid: TR295432
Mapcode National: GBR W1F.6DS
Mapcode Global: VHLHB.4KF7
Entry Name: River House Including Garage (Former Coach House and Tack Room) Coal House and Stabling
Listing Date: 4 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070329
English Heritage Legacy ID: 177838
Location: River, Dover, Kent, CT17
Civil Parish: River
Built-Up Area: Dover
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
No 33 (River House)
including Garage (former
Coach House and Tack Room)
Coal House and Stabling
TR 24 SW SP/674
House, with attached garage (formerly Coach House & Tack Room) Coal House & Stabling.
Late C18 to early C19. Brick; rendered quoins and plain parapet with coping conceal-
ing slate roof. Two parallel ranges. Two storey three bay front elevation with
rubbed brick voussoirs to windows and band at impost level. Sash windows with glazing
bars, all three panes wide and four deep except for centre three-light first floor
sash. Ground floor windows are set within shallow semi-circular brick arches. Three
steps lead up to entrance in later rendered rectangular porch with cornice, with two
two-panel doors and overlight at front entrance and a semi-circular headed window in
each return. Attached to house at rear is coal house and stabling. Early to Mid-
C19. Red brick in Flemish bond, the right side painted, and slate roof. 2 builds.
Left hand coal house has C19 casement, early C19 sliding sash, 2 doorcases with
cambered head linings and plank doors and cambered opening for delivering coal with
plank door and iron hinges. Right hand stabling with hayloft has left side inserted
C20 doors with wooden lintel (2 older cambered arches remain above) and C20 casement
in original cambered opening. Two futher cambered openings to right hand sides.
Cogged eaves cornice to rear. Interior has brick floor and right hand internal
entrance to hayloft panelled with large iron hinges. To left hand side is brick
link with plank ledged and braced door in wooden surround to garage formerly coach
house and tack room.. This is probably late C18 in origin altered mid-C19. Red brick
with some grey headers and hipped slate roofs, one storey. 2 parallel ranges.
Modillion eaves cornice and plinth. Right side elevation has modern garage doors.
2 cambered headed doorcases and cambered headed sash with four panes and horns. One
blocked window to right hand side with rubbed brick voussoirs. Thought to have been
converted into a Union Workhouse circa 1790, a Wesleyan Chapel in 1835, a private
school in 1843, and to have reverted to a private residence in 1850s or 60s.
Listing NGR: TR2951243220
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings