This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0348 / 51°2'5"N
Longitude: 0.728 / 0°43'40"E
OS Eastings: 591367
OS Northings: 129703
OS Grid: TQ913297
Mapcode National: GBR QWQ.4VL
Mapcode Global: FRA D6DC.ZCF
Entry Name: Hayes Cottage
Listing Date: 9 August 1979
Last Amended: 22 April 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070872
English Heritage Legacy ID: 180433
Location: Stone-cum-Ebony, Ashford, Kent, TN30
Civil Parish: Stone-cum-Ebony
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
STONE CUM EBONY
945/13/422 Hayes Cottage
(Formerly listed as:
High House Cottage)
Cottage. C18, refenestrated in C20.
BUILDING MATERIALS: Ground floor of red brick in Flemish bond with grey diaper headers on the east side only and of English bond on the other sides, including a tumbled-in triangular buttress on the south west corner. Upper floor timberframed clad in tiles. Tiled roof, gabled to the south, hipped to the north and catslide to the west with end brick chimneystack to the south and a smaller external brick chimneystack in the north wall.
PLAN: Two bay end chimneystack house with integral rear outshot. Two rooms and outshot to ground floor, three rooms above.
EXTERIOR: The front or east elevation has two C20 tripartite casements of traditional type and a doorcase with wooden weatherhood on brackets and C19 four-panelled door. The north side has two small casements and the west side a central wooden top-opening casement, a metal-framed casement and C20 plank door.
INTERIOR: At the time of inspection the interior had been stripped of interior partitions revealing the structural timber frame and there was no staircase. The large south open fireplace has a wooden bressumer and there is a smaller fireplace above. The spine beam to the ground floor south bay has a one inch chamfer with runout stops. The upper floor frame has central jowled upright posts with square profiles, corner posts with curved profiles and diagonal braces to the west, east and north wall frames. The roof structure has common rafters with ridgepiece and collars.
HISTORY: The building is shown without a name on the 1871 Ordnance Survey map. The rectangular profile is unchanged on the 1898 and 1908 sheets. The presence of a sheepfold in the north west corner of the adjoining field on early maps suggests it may have been occupied by a shepherd.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
Hayes Cottage is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* A substantially intact C18 two bay end chimneystack house with integral outshot, containing much original fabric and some decorative detail.
* It forms part of a group of listed buildings within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings