This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0723 / 51°4'20"N
Longitude: 0.9351 / 0°56'6"E
OS Eastings: 605715
OS Northings: 134427
OS Grid: TR057344
Mapcode National: GBR SZ2.P78
Mapcode Global: FRA D6V9.23H
Entry Name: Church of St Rumwold
Listing Date: 27 November 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071194
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181662
Location: Bonnington, Ashford, Kent, TN25
Civil Parish: Bonnington
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 03 SE BONNINGTON
7/77 Church of St.
Parish church. C12, nave rebuilt C13/C14. Ragstone with timber framed
and brick infill porch and weather boarded turret, with plain tiled
roof and leaded turret roof. Chancel and nave with western turret and
northern porch. Offset buttresses, repaired with brick, to western
end, with double hollow chamfered western doorway with drip mould.
Leaded ogee-shaped roof to turret with vane post. Nave with 3 offset
buttresses to each wall with 2 cusped 2 light Y-tracery windows on each
wall. Chamfered south doorway and hollow chamfered north door with
drip mould in timber porch with ragstone base and cusped bargeboard
over doorway with durns Nave east wall with lancets (blocked to south).
Chancel stepped with Romanesque lancet to north, C16 2 light Perpendicular
window to south and Romanesque triple East window. Interior: nave
with roof of 2 crown posts and early C17 timber gallery structure at
west end, the floor boards missing, but with turned baluster rail and
upper flight of newel stairs. Chamfered chancel arch on moulded imposts.
Chancel with plastered barrel roof. Fittings: segmentally arched
double piscina in east wall and partly blocked aumbrey in south wall
of chancel, with window seat to C16 chancel south window. Turned
baluster altar rail with wrought iron supports to gate piers, simple
wainscotting to sanctuary and raised and fielded panelled choir stalls.
C18 octagonal pulpit with attached reading desk, with raised and fielded
panels on rendered masonry base, with Greek key cornice and fluted
pilastered back panel to tester with Greek key and modillioned cornice.
Small trefoiled and ogee headed beaded niche on nave north-east wall.
Bulbous font of Bethersden marble on square base, with railed surround
(taken from altar rail?) with re-used Poppy head bench end. Bolection
moulded prayer boards and benefaction board in nave (dated 1774, recording
the benefaction of Valentine Knott of 8 shillings p.a. from Pinn Farm, 1614
Fragments of glass, C14 and Cl5, in nave, and East window dated 1907.
Royal Arms, mid C18, on west wall. (See B.O.E. Kent I, 172-3).
Listing NGR: TR0587934349
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings