This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0876 / 51°5'15"N
Longitude: 0.9618 / 0°57'42"E
OS Eastings: 607520
OS Northings: 136203
OS Grid: TR075362
Mapcode National: GBR SYX.PZJ
Mapcode Global: FRA D6X7.SMP
Entry Name: Court Lodge Farmhouse
Listing Date: 27 November 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071209
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181595
Location: Aldington, Ashford, Kent, TN25
Civil Parish: Aldington
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 03 NE ALDINGTON CHURCH LANE
4/10 Court Lodge
Farmhouse incorporating remains of Archiepiscopal hunting lodge. C14,
much extended c.1500 and altered early Cl9. Ragstone, with some brick
dressings and repairs, with plain tiled roofs. Entrance front: early
C19, re-using medieval stone and possibly foundations. Two storeys
with brick quoins and corbelled eaves to roof with kneelered parapet
gables and stacks to left and to right. Three segmentally headed
glazing bar sashes on each floor and ribbed panelled door to centre
left. Long 2 storey wing extending to rear, with irregular wooden
casements and boarded doors, and Cl4 blocked traceried windows on north
and south elevations; and 1 to east elevation; one on south especially
revealing tracery pattern (3 daggers over 2 cinquefoiled lights).
Hipped extension with weather boarded outshot at north-east end. A
second parallel range is adjacent to the south, the west and east ends
rebuilt in late C20 brick (old photographs show oast roundels), the
other elevation of stone and early C18 brickwork, used as garage/
stabling, with boarded door and ventilation slits, with jambs of blocked
medieval window exposed. Interior: the main range to rear with screens-
passage (stone jambs to cross-passage doors survive) 3 windows traceable
on each long side, and 1 large eastern window and smoke-blackened
barrel roof, and is probably the great hall not a chapel as previously
maintained. The southern range may wellbe a kitchen block in origin.
Cl7 inserted stacks with inglenooks, and beamed ceilings in main range.
This was a manor house and hunting lodge of the Archbishops of
Canterbury, particularly favoured and improved by Archbishops Morton
(1486-1500) and Wareham (1508-1532), both of whom also embellished
the adjacent parish Church of St. Martin. The house, park and Chase
(some 1000 acres) were bought and extended by Henry VII in 1540, the
whole complex said to have 5 kitchens, 6 stables and 8 dovecotes.
(See Hasted, VIII, 317-321; Igglesden 13, 1919; Church Guide; B.O.E.
Kent I, 127).
Listing NGR: TR0752036203
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings