History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade I Listed Building in Great Chart with Singleton, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.1597 / 51°9'34"N

Longitude: 0.8332 / 0°49'59"E

OS Eastings: 598203

OS Northings: 143860

OS Grid: TQ982438

Mapcode National: GBR RWN.7GG

Mapcode Global: VHKKM.D3BV

Entry Name: Godinton

Listing Date: 17 September 1952

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071511

English Heritage Legacy ID: 180920

Location: Great Chart with Singleton, Ashford, Kent, TN23

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Great Chart with Singleton

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TQ 94 SE 15/30B 17.9.52
This mansion and estate belonged to the Toke family from about 1450 to 1895.
The house has a mediaeval courtyard house as its core. In 1628 Nicholas Toke
(1588-1680) built a large L-shaped house around this. Its main front faces
east and is E-shaped. Two storeys and attics in the gables, built of red brick.
Moulded stone cornice above each floor. Tiled roof, 6 casement windows with
wooden mullions and transoms. The projecting end wings of the 'E' have shaped
Dutch gables over them. The centre portion has 2 similar gables, beneath which
are 2 large bays on the ground and first floors, containing windows of 2 tiers
of 8 lights on the ground floor and of 3 tiers of 8 lights on the first floor.
The other windows have 2 tiers of 3 lights. Parapet between the gables. Central
single storeyed porch, with pointed stone archways at the side and round-headed
stone archway in front surmounted by a curved pediment. Rainwater heads, with
the initials NT in those in the angles of the projecting wings and the date
1628 in the centre one above the porch. The north, or entrance front, of the
original C17 portion has 4 windows. The end window bays project with moulded
stone cornices above each floor, shaped Dutch gables over and beneath these
bays on the ground and first floors, containing windows of 3 tiers of 8 lights
on the ground floor and 2 tiers of 8 lights on the first floor. The recessed
portion between has 2 windows on the ground floor, a stone cornice above the
ground floor only and at a higher level than that across the bays, a parapet
over and a 2 storeyed porch with a shaped Dutch gable over, containing a cartouche
of the arms of the Toke family. The brickwork of this front has been renewed
except the parapet. The return south front of the east wing has 2 windows
on the ground and first floor, which contain 2 tiers of 2 lights, 2 tiny triangular
attic windows with a stone sundial between these, a red brick chimney stack
above the sundial and another rainwater head dated 1628. The remainder of
the south front was added about 1760 by John Toke (1737-1819). This has 5
windows, 2 shaped Dutch gables, sash windows with segmental heads in stuccoed
surrounds with glazing bars intact, and a doorway at the east end with narrow
pilasters, flat hood on brackets and rectangular fanlight. This was part of
an L-shaped addition which made the house into a complete square with an internal
courtyard. Beyond this addition is a further L-shaped addition in the north-west
corner, built between 1791 and 1837 in matching style, with a porch in the
angle of the C19 addition.
The interior contains the hall to the original mediaeval courtyard house, probably
of C14 date, with massive tie beam and crown post. The canted ceiling dates
from the 1620s. There is some fine linenfold panelling, circa 1520, and a
Bethersden marble chimney piece. The dining room also contains a Bethersden
marble chimney piece. The library contains some fine panelling and an overmantel
dated 1631. Very fine staircase dated 1628, with heraldic beasts on the newels
and long-haired female figure on the upper balcony. The friezes are decorated
with foliage and dragons. Turned balusters. C16 continental stained glass
in the staircase gallery windows. The chapel above the hall was originally
the solar. It was redesigned by Sir Reginald Blomfield. The Great Chamber
has some exceptionally fine panelling of circa 1630 with lozenge decorations
in each panel, pilasters of 2 patterns and a frieze mainly depicting contemporary
soldiers at drill. Chimney piece of Bethersden marble; having carved stone
lintel and a carved wooden overmantel depicting field sports. The White Drawing
Room has a plaster ceiling by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

Listing NGR: TQ9820443876

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.