History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Farm Building on South Side of Farmyard, Approximately 25 Metres North of Outhwaite Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Roeburndale, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.0852 / 54°5'6"N

Longitude: -2.5921 / 2°35'31"W

OS Eastings: 361365

OS Northings: 465638

OS Grid: SD613656

Mapcode National: GBR BPB6.MB

Mapcode Global: WH958.4LY2

Entry Name: Farm Building on South Side of Farmyard, Approximately 25 Metres North of Outhwaite Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Last Amended: 24 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071608

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182601

Location: Roeburndale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Roeburndale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Wray Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SD 613 656
SD 66 NW

Farm building on south side of farmyard, approx. 25 metres north of Outhwaite Farmhouse

(Formerly listed as Authwaite (old house, now dairy))


Farm building, originally 2 houses, late C17th, early C18th and late
C18th. Sandstone rubble. Eastern house has slate roof, western one a stone
slate roof. 2 storeys. South wall of eastern house rebuilt, probably late
C18th, using watershot masonry and with C17th window dressings. The
windows are rebated and chamfered. On the ground floor the left-hand one
is of 2 lights. The other two were of 4 lights, but have only their
central king mullions remaining. The left-hand window on the 1st floor has
had its mullion removed. The right-hand one is now blocked, was formerly
of 4 lights, and has a king mullion remaining. Stone gutter brackets.
Gables have copings with kneelers, and chimneys with weathered offsets and
moulded cornices. The western house adjoins to the left and is slightly
lower. It has rebated and chamfered windows and a drip course. On the
ground floor is one formerly of 3 lights, now with no mullions, and 2 of 2
lights, the right-hand one covered by a later lean-to. On the 1st floor
is one formerly of 3 lights, now with a mullion removed. To the right is
one of 2 lights. At the left is a farm building which has a door with
plain reveals. On the north side the eastern house has a stair wing which
has a blocked cross window in its west wall, once lighting the stair. The
north wall of the main part of the house has a door with moulded surround
and a lintel with carved decoration and inscription: 'WEA 1770'. The
figures have been altered and were probably originally: '1707'. The
western house has 2 2-light rebated and chamfered 1st floor windows. At
the left on the ground floor is a door with long-and-short jambs. This
originally entered against a baffle, as the firehood bressumer remains
with a mortise for a heck post. The oak roof trusses have collars and tie
beams. Inside, the eastern house has cased beams, a C18th fireplace with
moulded surround and mantel, and a spice cupboard whose carved door was
removed c.1980. A court cupboard dated 1695 was removed at the same time.
The upper flight of a stair with turned balusters remains.

Listing NGR: SD6136565638

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.