This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0931 / 54°5'35"N
Longitude: -2.6641 / 2°39'50"W
OS Eastings: 356661
OS Northings: 466560
OS Grid: SD566665
Mapcode National: GBR 9PV3.0H
Mapcode Global: WH957.1CNZ
Entry Name: Church of St Chad
Listing Date: 4 October 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071678
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182371
Location: Claughton, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Civil Parish: Claughton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Hornby with Claughton
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
CLAUGHTON A683 (off)
SD 56 NE
7/76 Church of St Chad
Church, 1815, heavily restored 1904, with remains of c.1300 and 1602.
Sandstone rubble with slate roof. Comprises an undivided nave and chancel
under a continuous roof, and a north aisle, north porch and vestry added in
1904. On the north side there is a gabled vestry at the left with a
chamfered doorway and shaped lintel. A chimney rises from the nave wall
behind. The aisle has 3 2-light mullioned windows, the right-hand ones
paired. In the angle with the vestry is a window of one light. On the
south side are windows with pointed heads and Perpendicular tracery: 2 of
2 lights to the nave and one of 3 lights to the chancel. The nave and
chancel are separated by a buttress. The west wall has a window of one
trefoiled light to the aisle, and a buttress between aisle and nave wall.
In the nave wall there is a carved panel with moulded border, which has
the arms and initials of W. Croft and date '1602'. This was formerly in a
mortuary chapel on the south side of the old church which belonged to the
Croft family of Claughton Hall(q.v.) On top of the wall is a twin
bellcote with an open segmental pediment. One of the bells is said to have
an inscription dating it to 1296 (V.C.H.), making it the oldest dated bell
in the country. The east window is probably of c.1300 and is of 3 lights
with cusped intersecting tracery and a pointed head. Inside, the 3-bay
arcade has round arches chamfered in 2 orders and round piers with moulded
capitals. The boarded roof has boxed king-post trusses.
Listing NGR: SD5666166560
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings