This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.1436 / 54°8'37"N
Longitude: -2.6964 / 2°41'46"W
OS Eastings: 354606
OS Northings: 472201
OS Grid: SD546722
Mapcode National: GBR 9NMJ.1C
Mapcode Global: WH83W.K37R
Entry Name: Capernwray Hall
Listing Date: 7 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071908
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181899
Location: Over Kellet, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6
Civil Parish: Over Kellet
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Over Kellet St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 57 SW OVER KELLET BORWICK ROAD (OFF)
4/164 Capernwray Hall
Country House, 1844, by Edmund Sharpe, with later additions. Coursed,
squared sandstone blocks with slate roof. Perpendicular style, with the
facade almost symmetrical. 2 storeys, with 4-storey tower at the rear.
North front of 9 bays with 2 2-storey wings flanking a central recessed
5-bay range having a central 2-storey porch with corner turrets, all with
a continuous string course and battlemented parapets. Central range has
mullioned and transomed windows of 2 different designs. Wings have
traceried windows on the 1st floor, with a projecting bay to the ground
floor of the right-hand wing and 2 windows with pointed heads to the left-
hand wing. Porch has moulded doorway, and a stone oriel window on the 1st
floor with coat of arms. West front has 2 2-storey bay windows with
perpendicular tracery. South front has a canted bay window on the ground
floor at the left lighting the dining room. Towards the right is the tower
with battlemented parapet and angle turrets. At the right is a right-angled
wing of possible later date with mullioned and transomed windows of various
descriptions. The stable court, adjoining to the east, has its entrance at
the eastern side through a gatehouse with twin battlemented towers and ribbed
vaulting. The south tower supports a taller, narrower tower towards the rear
with pyramidal roof and bell openings. On its west face is a clock and carved
scroll 'MC AD 184 '. Interior. Staircase hall has open timber roof with tie
beams, short king posts and tracery infill. Stair has carved square newels,
octagonal balusters and a cantilevered 1st floor gallery. Dining room and
drawing room at the west side, have moulded timber ceilings and carved marble
fireplaces. Dividing the rooms is a C18th wooden screen said to be from
St. Mary, Lancaster (Pevsner) with Corinthian pilasters, attached columns
and carved entablature.
Listing NGR: SD5460672201
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings