This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7669 / 53°46'0"N
Longitude: -2.8058 / 2°48'20"W
OS Eastings: 346983
OS Northings: 430360
OS Grid: SD469303
Mapcode National: GBR 8SVW.CF
Mapcode Global: WH85K.WL33
Entry Name: Clifton Hall
Listing Date: 2 June 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072036
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183628
Location: Newton-with-Clifton, Fylde, Lancashire, PR4
Civil Parish: Newton-with-Clifton
Built-Up Area: Clifton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lund St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
NEWTON WITH CLIFTON LODGE LANE
SD 43 SE
10/58 Clifton Hall
Large house, dated 1833 on entrance to rear courtyard, for Thomas Clifton of
Lytham Hall, now Nursing Home. Red brick with sandstone dressings, green
slate roofs with numerous tall octagonal sandstone chimneys. Roughly U-shaped
plan within a rectangle: 4-bay south range to garden with receding wings, the
west containing the entrance front, the east, which is longer, facing a formal
garden. Two storeys, in Elizabethan style, with gables, stone corner turrets,
corbelled pinnacles and finials, brick parapets with moulded stone copings,
mullioned and transomed windows (some with hoodmoulds). Entrance front of '
west wing has inter-alia a set-back gabled centre with single-storey square
porch displaying a coat of arms surmounted by Clifton crest of mailed arm
wielding a dagger, to the left a short 3-bay projection with stepped facade,
the centre of this gabled with a large window on each floor (the upper
corbelled like an oriel); east wing has inter alia a matching projection in
the corresponding position; south range, except far 4th bay (which is in
effect a wing), is a symmetrical composition of 3 gabled bays, the centre
wider and canted to full height, but now covered at ground floor by a large
modern sun parlour. Rear wall enclosing service courtyard has a 4-centred
arched entrance with keystone lettered "TC . Interior of less interest.
History: erected on the site of the Old Hall, which had been partly destroyed
by fire in 1745. Occupied in mid C19 by Edward Pedder, banker, of Preston.
Listing NGR: SD4698330360
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings