This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8952 / 53°53'42"N
Longitude: -3.0455 / 3°2'43"W
OS Eastings: 331390
OS Northings: 444847
OS Grid: SD313448
Mapcode National: GBR 7R5D.GD
Mapcode Global: WH84W.6C05
Entry Name: The Gazebo at Rossall School
Listing Date: 31 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072421
English Heritage Legacy ID: 184731
Location: Fleetwood, Wyre, Lancashire, FY7
Civil Parish: Fleetwood
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Fleetwood St Peter and St David
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
The Gazebo at
SD 34 SW 1/44 GV
Early C18. Probably built either by Richard Fleetwood, who died in 1709, or his
son Edward, the last Fleetwood in direct line, who died in 1757. Achievement of
arms of Fleetwood over door.
Red brick. Ashlar dressings. West elevation is of channelled ashlar (of Moresby
Hall, Cumberland). Flat stone-paved roof on brick tunnel vaults. Moulded eaves
cornice. Crenellated parapet with 3 moulded oculi per side. Channelled quoins.
East side has 2 flights of 7 stone steps, converging on door With channelled jambs
and voussoirs, which leads to an internal stone staircase to roof. 3 aspidal brick
recesses on remaining sides.
History The Gazebo was built in the grounds of Rossall Hall, which until 1931
stood on the site of Rossall School Dining Hall: the gazebo was axially placed
opposite the front door. Before the Reformation Rossall was a grange of Deulacres
Abbey, Staffs, and was tenanted by George Allen, whose cousin was Abbot of
Deulacres. George Allen's younger grandson was the famous Cardinal William Allen
(1532-94), founder of the English seminary at Douai, who was born and brought up
here. The Cardinal's elder brother, Richard, was the last heir male, and on his
death in 1583, his widow and their 3 daughters forfeited their goods and property
for recusancy and fled to the Cardinal's protection at Rheims. Rossall passed
to Edmund Fleetwood, whose father had purchased the reversion of the lease at the
Dissolution. Thence it descended through the Fleetwoods and the Fleetwood-Heskeths.
until Sir Peter Hesketh- Fleetwood (1801-66) gave it to Rossall School in 1844.)
Listing NGR: SD3139044847
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings