This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7134 / 53°42'48"N
Longitude: -2.6087 / 2°36'31"W
OS Eastings: 359919
OS Northings: 424280
OS Grid: SD599242
Mapcode National: GBR BT7H.0L
Mapcode Global: WH96Z.WXXM
Entry Name: Parish Church of St James
Listing Date: 17 April 1967
Last Amended: 30 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072542
English Heritage Legacy ID: 184305
Location: Brindle, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6
Civil Parish: Brindle
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Brindle St James
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
BRINDLE WATER STREET
SD 52 SE
5/54 Parish Church of St. James
17.4.67 (Formerly listed as Church of
GV St James)
Church. Late medieval tower and north chapel, nave of 1817, with chancel
1869-70. Sandstone with nave of dressed gritstone, slate roofs.
Perpendicular 4-stage west tower with chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses
and south-east stair-turret, has low Tudor-arched west doorway with hollowed
surround, above this a restored 3-light window under a hoodmould with shield
stops, a clock face, and 2-light louvred belfry windows with Perpendicular
tracery and hoodmoulds; on north and south sides chamfered looplights, and
gargoyles below a dripcourse carried round the whole; embattled parapet with
crocketed corner pinnacles. Short and broad nave (extending to north of
tower), of 4 bays, has gabled porch to 1st bay on south side, large 3-light
arched windows with transoms and intersecting tracery. Two-bay chancel has
square-headed 2-light windows and large 5-light east window with Perpendicular
tracery. Chapel to north of this, raised and restored, has Tudor-arched
3-light window with hollow-moulded reveal and cusped lights, and a blank arch
above, and on the north side a square-headed window with 3 similar cusped
lights and hollow spandrels (C19 vestry covers most of this wall). Set
against the east wall of this chapel are 3 medieval gravestones with incised
crosses. Interior: wide auditorium formed by incorporation of former aisle in
early C19, formerly galleried; at east end large but unequal 2-centred arches
to chapel and chancel, with 2 orders of moulding, semi-octagonal responds; 3
large queen-post roof trusses with arch bracing to collars and much ornamental
openwork; brass chandelier of 1792 (Pevsner) with 2 tiers of arms; small stone
tub font; over south door a shouldered panel painted with arms of George III;
and on tower wall two C18 shouldered panels listing benefactions to the poor
and the school.
Listing NGR: SD5991924280
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings