This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4886 / 51°29'18"N
Longitude: -0.2166 / 0°12'59"W
OS Eastings: 523916
OS Northings: 178136
OS Grid: TQ239781
Mapcode National: GBR BG.XS3
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.6VB6
Entry Name: Tomb of George Broad Approximately 160 Metres East of West Gate, Hammersmith Cemetery
Listing Date: 16 September 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072615
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468848
Location: Hammersmith and Fulham, London, W6
District: Hammersmith and Fulham
Electoral Ward/Division: Fulham Reach
Built-Up Area: Hammersmith and Fulham
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Alban Fulham
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2378 MARGRAVINE ROAD, W6
(North East side, Off)
333/6/10037 Tomb of George Broad, approx.
160 metres east of West Gate,
Tomb monument. c1895. Cast bronze with a sandstone base. Low, shaped base surmounted by a Free Baroque panel with richly scrolled top and which is fronted by a relief of an angel with a sword and holding an inscribed Renaissance shield. A lower panel bears a relief of 2 putti with the inscription "Requiescat in pace". The monument is signed A Fabbrucci on the lower left corner.
HISTORY: George Broad ran a foundry in Hammersmith and was responsible for casting the most celebrated of all late Victorian public monuments, Eros, by Alfred Gilbert for whom Broad also carried out other casting. Aristide Fabbrucci was a London-based sculptor and modeller, probably the son of Florentine sculptor Luigi Fabbrucci. He was best known for his figure of Commerce, designed for the Glasgow Pavilion of Plastic Arts in 1898.
Listing NGR: TQ2391678136
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings