This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3813 / 53°22'52"N
Longitude: -2.9579 / 2°57'28"W
OS Eastings: 336377
OS Northings: 387590
OS Grid: SJ363875
Mapcode National: GBR 7BY.4W
Mapcode Global: WH87F.J8PN
Entry Name: Toxteth Unitarian Chapel
Listing Date: 28 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072991
English Heritage Legacy ID: 359221
Location: Liverpool, L8
Electoral Ward/Division: Riverside
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Toxteth St Philemon
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 3687 PARK LANE
Anglican Chapel, then Presbyterian, now Unitarian.
Originally 1618, partly rebuilt 1774, porch 1841. Stone with
slate roof. 2 storeys, 2 bays with extension to north.
Round-headed windows have stone surrounds with impost
blocks. Western extension has bracketed eaves and gable.
Similar, smaller projecting bay has bracketed eaves and
gable; paired round- headed entrances with commemorative
plaque and 3 windows above. South facade has window with
sash with interlaced glazing bars over small porch. East
windows have external shutters. Small octagonal cupola to
south end has ogee headed louvred openings and button
finial. Interior has pulpit against east wall,box pews and
gallery on 3 sides. North and south galleries are C17 and
connecting one is C18. 2 box pews are dated 1650 and 1700.
The chancel, arch of the original building, which is
chamfered and pointed, survives. As a chapel which was
Nonconformist before 1660, and preserves an excellent set of
furnishings which were complete by a century later, this
chapel is of the highest importance. North and south
galleries are C17 and connecting one is C18.
Listing NGR: SJ3637687591
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings