This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6915 / 53°41'29"N
Longitude: -2.6324 / 2°37'56"W
OS Eastings: 358338
OS Northings: 421860
OS Grid: SD583218
Mapcode National: GBR BT1R.WF
Mapcode Global: WH975.JGQV
Entry Name: Lancaster Canal, West Portal of Whittle Hills Tunnel of Former Lancaster Canal
Listing Date: 20 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073099
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357701
Location: Whittle-le-Woods, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6
Civil Parish: Whittle-le-Woods
Built-Up Area: Bamber Bridge
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Whittle-le-Woods St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 52 SE WHITTLE-LE-WOODS WEST PORTAL OF WHITTLE HILLS
TUNNEL OF FORMER LANCASTER
West portal of Whittle Hills tunnel of former Lancaster canal. 1801-1803; Engineer,
John Rennie. Rusticated rock-faced sandstone. Semicircular arch with rusticated
voussoirs and triple keystone, a roll-moulded band immediately above this carried
across battered piers to left and right; a large rectangular recess (on panel) in
the centre of the retaining wall above this band (as if for an inscription, but faced
with ashlar); parapet with rounded top. To each side, a curved sloped abutment of
similar masonry but with square copings.
History: Formed part of canal link between Leeds - Liverpool Canal at Johnsons Hillock
(q.v.) and Walton Summit.
Note: both portals redundant, the canal drained. Centre of tunnel collapsed and
was opened out,with new portals to central section c.1838 (of less interest).
Listing NGR: SD5833821860
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings