History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Parbold, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5906 / 53°35'26"N

Longitude: -2.7533 / 2°45'11"W

OS Eastings: 350235

OS Northings: 410712

OS Grid: SD502107

Mapcode National: GBR 9V6X.QL

Mapcode Global: WH86K.P03P

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 19 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073167

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357856

Location: Parbold, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Civil Parish: Parbold

Built-Up Area: Parbold

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Douglas-in-Parbold Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Appley Bridge

Listing Text

PARBOLD PARBOLD HILL
SD 51 SW
5/80 Christ Church
-
II

Church. 1875 by Myres, Veevers & Myres. Rock-faced sandstone with slate
roof. Comprises a nave, south porch, north aisle, lower chancel, north
vestry, and a tower with stone spire against the south side of the
chancel. At the west end of the nave are 3 lancet windows with a wheel
window above. The north aisle is of 4 bays separated by buttresses. The
outer windows are paired lancets. The 2 inner ones have 3 lancets, the
middle ones cusped. The south wall of the nave is of 3 bays separated by
gabled buttresses. The outer windows are of 2 trefoiled lights under a
pointed head with quatrefoil. The middle window is of 3 lights. At the
left is a gabled porch. The outer doorway is moulded and pointed with
angle shafts. The east window of the chancel is of 5 lights with
Geometric tracery. The tower has angle buttresses, and a south window to
the lower stage of 2 trefoiled lights separated by an engaged shaft under
a pointed head with trefoil. The bell openings are paired lancets. The
tower is broached to an octagonal spire with lucarnes. Interior: 4-bay
arcade of roll-moulded pointed arches springing from paired granite
columns with foliated capitals. Nave roof has arch-braced collars,
and king posts treated as round columns. The chancel arch is moulded and
pointed and has short granite shafts as responds, carried on corbels and
with foliated caps. The chancel has pointed arches opening to north and
south and has a boarded barrel roof. The pulpit is constructed from C17
decorated square panelling and incorporates the date '1648'. The font has
an octagonal sandstone bowl. An early C18 font has a fluted Doric column
as its stem and a round bowl with gadroon decoration. The east and west
windows contain late C19 glass.


Listing NGR: SD5023510712

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.