This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7385 / 52°44'18"N
Longitude: -0.6893 / 0°41'21"W
OS Eastings: 488589
OS Northings: 316453
OS Grid: SK885164
Mapcode National: GBR DS6.6K2
Mapcode Global: WHGLF.DF0G
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073229
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186667
Location: Market Overton, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Market Overton
Built-Up Area: Market Overton
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Market Overton St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 81 NE CHURCH LANE (West side)
2/97 Church of St. Peter and
Church mainly of C14 but with Anglo-Saxon arch. Ashlar and coursed squared
rubble stone with part parapetted, part Collyweston slate roof with stone
coped gables. W tower, nave aisles, chancel, NE vestry and S transept
and porch. Tower of 3 stages, coursed squared rubble stone to N and
S, ashlar to E and W. Plinth. Dec W window with blocked W door below,
sundial on S wall said to have been placed by Isaac Newton, 4 Dec bell
openings, gargoyles, and possibly restored cornice and battlements. W
arch to nave Anglo-Saxon : 'This is the only worthwhile piece of Anglo-Saxon
architecture in the County (of Rutland). Jambs of very large,stones
the imposts of the arch, unmoulded blocks' (Pevsner), 3 bay similar N
and S arcades. Double chamfered arches over octagonal piers and responds.
Hood moulds and label stops. Clerestory of 4 windows, N flat-topped
Dec, and S pointed arch Dec, but for S E late Perp. Outside, windows
have hood moulds and label stops, and clerestory has ball flower frieze.
Parapet above and to chancel, and small sanctus bell-cote over chancel
arch. 4 bay restored low-pitch tie beam roof, the wall pieces and bracesion
wooden corbels. In N aisle Dec NW and NE windows, the NE open to organ
chamber. Flat-topped N window with Reticulated tracery and blocked N
door. Outside, buttresses with set-offs and head and ball-flower frieze.
N organ chamber and NE vestry both probably of 1858. Chancel arch similar
to arcades but inner chamfer hollow. Chancel rebuilt 1858. 2 windows
with Curvilinear type tracery, 1 with stained glass of c1882. Similar
E window of 1868 with stained glass. 3 bay C19 roof with curved braces
to curved collar on carved corbels. In S transept SE window with stained
glass of c1887 and S window restored Dec.S doorway arch with thin shafts
and many mouldings and oak 6 panelled door with inscription dated 1756.
S porch arch has keeled responds and the aisle a ball flower frieze.
Inside a fine series of C18 wall monuments which continue ouside on S
transept walls and monument of 1695 on E wall of chancel. Font a combination
of early English and Norman capitals; C19 pulpit and carved oak reredos
and choir stalls. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877, and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK8858916453
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings