This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6709 / 52°40'15"N
Longitude: -0.7274 / 0°43'38"W
OS Eastings: 486147
OS Northings: 308895
OS Grid: SK861088
Mapcode National: GBR CRL.GX8
Mapcode Global: WHFKN.S4S7
Entry Name: Oakham Castle
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073277
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186494
Location: Oakham, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Oakham
Built-Up Area: Oakham
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Oakham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 8608 6/2
Rectangular ward enclosed by high bank containing fine arcaded Hall in
transitional style, probably built by Walkelin de Ferrers circa 1180-90.
Stone used is fine-grained shelly oolite from Clipsham. Stone slate roof,
3 later dormers 65 ft by 44 ft. The hall is divided by 3 shafts on either
side into 4 bays, 8 paired windows under pointed arch, stone band continues
cills. Round-headed doorway now in centre formerly at East End. At East
gable end 3 blocked doorways, simple continuous moulding. Circular piers
and crocketed capitals like those in the chancel at Canterbury. Carved
figures of musicians in spandrels. Romanesque carved wall corbels. Earliest
part of roof 2 red oak beams put in by George Villies, Duke of Buckingham.
Formerly used as the Assize Court and now as the Magistrates Court. It
contains court room furniture of late C18 or early C19 date and also collection
of ornamental horseshoes left by each peer on first visiting the town as
payment of tax to the Lord of the Manor. Modern additions built on to
west. Scheduled AM.
Listing NGR: SK8614708895
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings