This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6067 / 52°36'24"N
Longitude: -0.6114 / 0°36'40"W
OS Eastings: 494133
OS Northings: 301899
OS Grid: SK941018
Mapcode National: GBR DTV.G8N
Mapcode Global: WHGM1.LQ2Z
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Last Amended: 29 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073877
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187077
Location: South Luffenham, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: South Luffenham
Built-Up Area: South Luffenham
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: South Luffenham St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 90 SW THE STREET (East Side)
6/237 Church of St. Mary
Church. C12-C14 and C19. Ashlar and coursed rubble stone and leaded and Collyweston
slate roofs, with chancel stone S side stack. Stone coped gables. W tower with
spire, nave, aisles, S chancel chapels, chancel and S porch. C14 tower of ashlar,
of 3 stages and spire, with plinth, angle buttresses with set-offs, W window
with stained glass of 1863, ogee-headed 1-light windows in 2nd stage, clockface,
2-light bell openings with transom, quatrefoil frieze to E and W, ogee to N and
S, head frieze, central gargoyles, and battlements. Crocketted spire with 3 tiers
of lucarnes in alternating directions and gilded weathercock. Double chamfered
W arch above polygonal responds. On exterior, aisles, chancel, etc. have plinth,
buttresses and diagonal buttresses with set-offs, and windows have hood moulds,
some with head stops. Inside, late C12 2 bay N arcade with rounded and heavily
moulded arches. Circular pier and cruciform abaci. E respond has waterleaf, W
and pier has volute and head capitals. Hood mould with billet decoration. C13
S arcade of 2 bay and short bay. Pointed double chamfered arches. Perp clerestory
with 3 2-light flat-topped windows each side. Restored 4 bay low-pitch tie beam
roof. N aisle has N window with stained glass of c1900, N door of c1300 with
ogee niche over outside and flat-topped N window with stained glass of 1889.
Chancel arch c1300. Mostly Perp chancel, 2 Perp N windows with C19 stained glass,
and 3 3-light Perp clerestory windows over. C19 E window with Curvilinear type
tracery. Perp triple sedilia with cusped ogee heads. S chancel arcade with 1
bay and short bay of c1300, double chamfered arches over octagonal pier. Clerestory
over similar to N. C19 3 bay low-pitch roof. S chapel now organ chamber. Perp
SE window, and flat-topped S window. S aisle has 2 2-light windows, one with
fine stained glass c1870 to Wingfield family, the other with similar stained
glass c1860. S door c1300 and flat-topped SW Window. Above this a beam roof beam
with curved braces. Perp octagonal font decorated with quatrefoils. S porch with
double chamfered arch and 2 small niches above. Fine C14 tomb-chest with quatrefoils.
Effigy of member of Culpepper family. Canopy above the head. Fragments of C15
work in much restored low wooden rood screen. Earlier C19 wall monuments and
C19 long cast-iron interlaced-work heating grill in nave. Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK9413301899
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings