This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.638 / 52°38'16"N
Longitude: -0.6312 / 0°37'52"W
OS Eastings: 492723
OS Northings: 305354
OS Grid: SK927053
Mapcode National: GBR DTF.P6N
Mapcode Global: WHGLV.8YNH
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073962
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186884
Location: Edith Weston, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Edith Weston
Built-Up Area: Edith Weston
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Edith Weston St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 90 NW CHURCH LANE (North Side)
3/54 Church of St. Mary
Church. C12-C14 and C18/C19. Ashlar and coursed rubble stone with leaded and
Collyweston and Welsh slate roofs with stone coped gables. W tower, nave, aisles,
chancel, N and S chancel chapels, S transept and S porch. C14 W tower of ashlar,
and 3 stages and spire with plinth,clasping buttresses with set-offs, W window,
SW stair, clock face to South, 4 2-light bell openings with transoms, gargoyles,
battlements, and crocketted pinnacles. Spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes and gilded
weathercock. Many moulded nave arch above semi-circular responds. C12 3 bay
N aisle with many-moulded round arches, circular piers and waterleaf capitals.
C13 3 bay S arcade with double chamfered round arches and circular piers. Perp
clerestorey with 3 flat-topped 2-light windows to N, 2 to S. Hood moulds outside.
Restored 4 bay low-pitch cambered tie beam single purlin roof, leaded outside.
Mid C19 N aisle, the 3 windows with Curvilinear tracery. C14 NE wall with small
2-light flat-topped window (onto N chancel chapel) and corbel to left. C12
chancel arch responds with mid C13 arch. Responds with 1 large and 1 slender
shaft and capitals with waterleaf, broad leaves and angle volutes. Chancel
rebuilt 1866 in French C14 style. 2 ribbed vaults and sedilia and blank arcading.
E window with plate tracery and in N and S windows stained glass by Hugh Arnold,
1912. C19 N chancel chapel/vestry but with C14 NE window. 2 C13 corbels once
in chancel. C19 S chancel (Lady) chapel. S window with plate tracery and 2
E 1-light windows with stained glass by Paul Woodruffe of 1936.C14/C15 S transept,
the Perp window filled with mid C19 stained glass. In S aisle 2-light stone
mullion window. C18 S porch with double chamfered round arch. Square font,
possibly C13/C14. Fine series of C18 wall monuments some removed from Normanton
Church (q.v.) and including very fine example to Si.r Gilbert Heathcote, died
1733, by J.M. Rysbrack. In S transept wall monument to Halford/Lucas families
of 1627 with later tablets, moved to present position 1866. Very fine tall
chamber organ by Samuel Green, London, 1787, the case of inlaid mahogany. In
chancel former pews, possibly of medieval period and carved and gilded reredos
by Sir G. Frampton, 1896, with reliefs of Christ enthroned and the Annunciation.
Lectern made up from medieval pew ends. 2 Hatchments. In N aisle altar stone,
also fromNormanton Church, possibly medieval. White's Leicestershire and Rutland,
1877, Edith Weston Church guide, 1980, and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK9272305354
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings