This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.618 / 52°37'4"N
Longitude: -1.1119 / 1°6'42"W
OS Eastings: 460224
OS Northings: 302621
OS Grid: SK602026
Mapcode National: GBR FMR.GD
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.WGQ9
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 14 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074035
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188621
Location: Leicester, LE2
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Emmaus Team
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 60 SW
CLARENDON PARK ROAD (South east side)
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
Parish church. 1884-85 by Joseph Goddard of Goddard, Paget and Catlow. Red brick with dressings and bands of Bath stone. Steep-pitched tile roof with a slender fleche.
No tower. Very tall nave with tall plate-traceried windows. Short transept with small rose windows, low passage aisles.
INTERIOR: Very good interior of yellow brick and ashlar with segmental arcade to aisle passages, arcade above gallery at west end, timber roof. East end with low open galleries carried on trefoil arcade. This church was commissioned by Miss Sarah Barlow, and it cost £8,500. The land cost £1,000 and was paid for by public subscription.
Listing NGR: SK6022402621
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings