This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.655 / 52°39'18"N
Longitude: -1.1306 / 1°7'50"W
OS Eastings: 458907
OS Northings: 306723
OS Grid: SK589067
Mapcode National: GBR FHB.C3
Mapcode Global: WHDJB.LJTF
Entry Name: Museum of Technology
Listing Date: 14 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074036
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188624
Location: Leicester, LE4
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: The Resurrection
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/05/2018
SK 50 NE
Abbey Pumping Station
(Formerly listed as Museum of Technology (Former Abbey Sewage works pumping station))
Built in 1891, as sewage works pumping station. Red brick with stone dressings on glazed brick plinth. Slate hipped roof with tent-shaped roof light at ridge with finials.
Large rectangular building of two storeys, wide brick angle pilasters over which stone cornice projects with trglyphs in frieze and aeroteria over. Brick parapet. Stone bands. First floor three large stone three-light Tuscan pilastered windows with console brackets serving as pilasters to lights above, apron frieze below. Central stone pedimented doorway approached by steps with ornate iron lamp standards and flanking semi-circular bay windows with stone panelled pilasters between lights and cornice and parapet.
Contains four beam engines with twenty nine feet beams which were among the last of this type to be built. They were made by Messrs Grimson of Leicester. Inside there are large decorated iron supporting columns.
Lower extension on left. To right tall detached brick chimney with tapered octagonal shafts, decorated stone band near top and stone cornice, stands on large square pedestal with stone entablature.
Listing NGR: SK5890706723
Other nearby listed buildings