History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Hilda

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thornton-le-Dale, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2467 / 54°14'48"N

Longitude: -0.7102 / 0°42'36"W

OS Eastings: 484142

OS Northings: 484218

OS Grid: SE841842

Mapcode National: GBR RMHB.1F

Mapcode Global: WHGC2.2J27

Entry Name: Church of Saint Hilda

Listing Date: 5 February 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074194

English Heritage Legacy ID: 439932

Location: Thornton-le-Dale, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO18

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Thornton-le-Dale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Thornton Dale

Listing Text

THORNTON DALE ELLERBURN ROAD
SE 88 SW
(north-west side)
Ellerburn
9/95
Church of Saint Hilda
GV II*
Church. C11 nave and chancel; restoration and buttresses added C15; porch
and bellcote built 1904 during extensive restorations carried out by Caroe
and Passmore. Sandstone rubble, partly on plinth, with irregular quoins,
some herringbone-tooled; stone flag roof. West bellcote; 3-bay nave and
south porch; chancel and north vestry. The bellcote is supported on 2 piers
with chamfered bases and offsets partly obscuring C15 pointed window of 3
trefoil head lights and panel tracery. Square opening in plain surround to
west face of bellcote. C20 gabled south porch contains a pointed doorway
with corbelled hood-mould. Iron-studded door, later reinforced, probably
C15. To east, blocked pointed arch of probable C15 chapel, now containing
rebuilt paired lights. Further renewed windows to either side and in north
wall which has blocked doorway to centre. Dwarf buttress further to west
and diagonal buttress at end. Blocked shallow pointed priest's door to
chancel with original lancet to east, and renewed window to left. C15 east
window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with panel tracery. Interior: C13
pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders springs from C11 responds with
attached shafts with cushion capital. Incised spiral carving to capitals
and bases, and zigzag to responds. In nave south wall the blocked pointed
archway with restored imposts to former chapel, with portion of earlier
window arch above. In north wall the head of a shallow pointed arch of the
former north door survives. C11 chamfered altar stone with incised cross to
centre. C11 or C12 circular font on 1904 base. Piscina and aumbry in
chancel south wall. C18 octagonal pulpit of raised and fielded panels with
ogee tester inlaid on underside, and finial. Altar panelling and restored
poppyhead pews of same date. Several fragments of pre-Conquest sculpture
are incorporated in the nave and chancel south walls and the porch.


Listing NGR: SE8414284218

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.