This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6455 / 52°38'43"N
Longitude: -1.4591 / 1°27'32"W
OS Eastings: 436697
OS Northings: 305447
OS Grid: SK366054
Mapcode National: GBR 6JC.3Y7
Mapcode Global: WHDJ5.KRFQ
Plus Code: 9C4WJGWR+69
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 7 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074210
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188224
Location: Shackerstone, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, CV13
District: Hinckley and Bosworth
Civil Parish: Shackerstone
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Market Bosworth St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 30 NE SHACKERSTONE MAIN STREET (West
7.11.66 Church of St. Mary the
Parish church. Apparently C16; restored and chancel rebuilt in 1884.
Ashlar with low pitch nave roof hidden behind the parapet, and slate
roof over the chancel. West tower, 3-bay nave with north aisle and
south porch, 2-bay chancel equalling the combined widths of nave and
aisles. West tower: 2 stages with belfry offset, clasping buttresses
up to second stage level from whence they are continued as diagonal
buttresses, and a crenellated parapet with continuous moulded coping.
Pointed south door, possibly inserted. Transomed 3-light west window
with trefoil-headed upper and lower lights beneath a depressed
triangular arch. 2-centred belfry openings of 2 trefoil-headed lights
with supermullion above containing a central quatrefoil. Nave: Gabled
south porch of 1834 with pointed doorway, rendered and lined as ashlar
with Swithland slate roof. Two 3-light nave windows, one with
depressed triangular arch and a hollow-moulded surround, the other with
ogee-headed lights and panel tracery beneath a square head with hood
mould terminating in heads. 3-light clerestory windows with square
heads. Crenellated parapet like that of the tower with hollow-moulded
string. The north side of the north aisle is blind but there is an
east window of 2 trefoil-headed lights beneath a 4-centred head.
Chancel: 3-light pointed east window with Perpendicular tracery
flanked by a pair of trefoil-headed lancets. Pointed side windows with
cast iron tracery. Pointed south door with moulded surround. Interior:
3-bay nave arcade of double chamfered pointed arches on octagonal
columns with moulded capitals. Double chamfered and pointed tower
arch. High chancel arch with chamfered surround and a second 4-centred
arch leads from the north aisle to the chancel. Low pitch roof over
nave with short stubby king and queen posts. C19 ceiled roof over
chancel with moulded tie beams supported on arched brackets springing
from stone corbels. Fixtures and fittings: C19 octagonal stone font.
Simple C19 bench pews with poppyheads. Octagonal pulpit of 1921; tall
and heavy with quatrefoil panel sides. Spacious chancel with C19 box
pews down the north side, one with a fireplace. More box pews on the
south side to the east of the doorway. Also on the south side, the C19
choir stalls with poppyheads. East window flanked by C19 commandment
boards. Monuments: Georgiana Countess Howe, died 1906; elaborate
bronze tablet flanked by trumpeting angels, surmounted by a statuette
of St. George beneath an open segmental pediment. Stained glass; nave
south-west window of after 1913 in style of Kempe and Co.B .O.E. p.138.
Listing NGR: SK3669705447
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings