History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Queniborough, Leicestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.7054 / 52°42'19"N

Longitude: -1.0432 / 1°2'35"W

OS Eastings: 464746

OS Northings: 312395

OS Grid: SK647123

Mapcode National: GBR 9N4.737

Mapcode Global: WHFK9.Y8FB

Entry Name: The Old Hall

Listing Date: 1 June 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074513

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189509

Location: Queniborough, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE7

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

Civil Parish: Queniborough

Built-Up Area: Queniborough

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Queniborough

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

3/45 The Old Hall
Large house 1675-6. Brick on cobble plinth with Swithland slate roof. Originally
an H-plan house, but now lacking the front right-hand wing, and with a central
wing added to the front elevation in the C19. 2 storeys with attics, left hand
gabled wing with 8-light wood mullioned and transomed windows to ground and
1st floors, 2-light casement in attic. Dated in gable apex, 1676 with initials
B over T.E. Adjoining this, and advanced slightly, is the later gabled wing,
also with wood mullioned and transomed windows. Recessed to its right one bay
of the original central section contains a 6-light mullioned and transomed
window to the ground floor, 4-lights above. Refronted gable replacing former
wing to right with door in wood architrave wood mullioned and transomed window
above. Decorative cyma moulded brick bands form string course and arches over
ground and 1st floor windows in the original sections of the facade, and are
then continuous across side and rear of the house. Massive brick central stacks,
and on end gable. Original H-plan retained on rear elevation. Symetrical outer
gables with decorative brick bands rising over 4-light mullioned and transomed
windows on ground and 1st floors, and forming hoodmould to attic-window. Central
section recessed but also gabled, 2 decorative brick arches to each floor,
those on ground floor unrelated to the single large mullioned and transomed
window. Doorway to right. Date in right hand gable apex, 1675 with initials
B over T.E. Interior has various beamed rooms, 1 with inglenook and 2 original
newel staircases with turned balusters. Massive roof timbers with windbraces
etc. Lower service wing projects to left of front elevation, joined to the
main house by a C19 addition, but itself probably late C17 or early C18. Brick,
with Swithland slate roof. Former stables to left with 3 partially blocked
doors and 3 gabled dormers in the roof. Coped gable to right, then main range.
3 2-light casement windows, only 1 original, with segmentally arched brick
head. Door with brick arched head and a wide shallow blank arch to its right
at ground level. 1 other original window and 1 insertion. 3 dormers above.
Moulded brick eaves. 1 curved principal roof truss visible within. The house
may incorporate elements of an earlier house where Prince Rupert stayed in
1642, during the Civil war.

Listing NGR: SK6474612395

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.