This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7527 / 52°45'9"N
Longitude: -1.1473 / 1°8'50"W
OS Eastings: 457646
OS Northings: 317577
OS Grid: SK576175
Mapcode National: GBR 8L2.JQ2
Mapcode Global: WHDHY.B2WH
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 1 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074589
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189267
Location: Barrow upon Soar, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12
Civil Parish: Barrow upon Soar
Built-Up Area: Barrow upon Soar
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Barrow-upon-Soar Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 51 NE BARROW UPON SOAR CHURCH STREET
3/1 Church of the Holy Trinity
Large parish church, medieval in plan and in much of interior, externally
'Victorian following a restoration and rebuilding (chancel, 1862, west tower
and thorough restoration, 1870). West tower, nave with 2 aisles, and clerestory,transepts and chancel. Pink random granite rubble with white sandstone dressings, south porch and clerestory faced in sandstone. West tower has 2 principal stages, buttressed, and capped by thin corner pinnacles above a decorative frieze. 2-light openings to bell-chamber with heavy tracery. Large clock on south face below. Large south porch with embattled parapet and heavy gargoyles. Church parapetted throughout, and buttressed - the buttresses also have white stone dressings and copings to gabled and trefoiled tops. Various types of window tracery: clerestory is perpendicular, aisle windows a late decorated style, with reticulated curves. All windows have hoodmoulds terminating in large and massy foliate corbels. Chancel has a different and distinctive decorative scheme: buttresses have small projecting grotesque carvings, decorative frieze (foliage, beasts etc) below parapet and a later decorated window tracery pattern, with spare tracery lines. Interior has nave arcade of 4 bays, with double chamfered arches on round piers, late C13. Easternmost piers have 4 shafts and relate to C14 building of transepts (existing transepts are C19). Perpendicular clerestory and nave roof - low pitched cambered trusses with traceried panels, supported on angel brackets, and with gilded bosses. Large chancel has fine carved choir stalls (1918), turned C17 altar rails, and an ornate stone reredos, representing the Last Supper, heavily undercut, also sedilia, 1884. Chancel roof a plain timber low-pitched structure, with decorated cambered trusses and cornice. East window, a memorial to various C17 local figures is by Powell and Co., 1890. So is the stained glass window in the south aisle, C1929. Chancel contains memorial to Theophilus Cave, d. 1656, in mannerist style with well-turned epigram. In south transept, a memorial to Martha Utber, 1745, a kneeling female figure at a prie-dieu in a surround with pilasters, broken pediment and arms.
Listing NGR: SK5764617577
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings