This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6341 / 52°38'2"N
Longitude: -1.1307 / 1°7'50"W
OS Eastings: 458931
OS Northings: 304392
OS Grid: SK589043
Mapcode National: GBR FHK.CM
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.L1SY
Entry Name: 1901 - The Turkey Cafe
Listing Date: 20 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074750
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188844
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: The Resurrection
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/07/2018
SK 5804 SE
Number 24, 1901 - The Turkey Cafe
(Formerly listed as Number 24)
Turkey cafe. 1900-1901, altered late C20. Designed by Arthur Wakerley of Leicester for J S Winn. Brick with street facade faced in coloured Carrara ware made by the Doulton Co.
Three storeys. Facade is designed in an eccentric Moorish style. The later C20 shop front is set behind a restored shallow arch with six pendant drops. Under the arch springheads are ceramic turkey sculptures perched on corbels, all renewed. At first floor level a large central arch with two pendant drops and two small semi-circular side arches carried on pilasters with bulbous bases on pedestals. Between the pedestals, a low parapet, decorated with shallow blind arches supports the moulded sill for the casement sashes: three-light with upper transom in the central opening and single light at the side. The side hung casements above the transom retain their original lead lights. Above the moulded first cornice is a frieze inscribed 'The Turkey Cafe' in Arts and Crafts style lettering.
The second floor has a large central opening spanned by shallow horseshoe arch which springs from side corbels attached to the piers. To either side, a small semi-circular arched opening with a small circular opening over. The piers are decorated with horizontal alternating light and dark tiled bands and the arches with similar alternating voussoir bands. The central opening has a large plate glass window with decorative etching. Above the moulded cornice, the parapet is crowned by a large horseshoe shaped panel which contains the framed image of a turkey all set in ceramic tiles. The interior retains some original features, principally oak panelling to the main first floor room and a window at the rear with stained glass in an art nouveau style.
Listing NGR: SK5893104392
Other nearby listed buildings