This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6315 / 52°37'53"N
Longitude: -1.1394 / 1°8'21"W
OS Eastings: 458342
OS Northings: 304099
OS Grid: SK583040
Mapcode National: GBR FFL.FK
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.G3NY
Entry Name: Chantry House
Listing Date: 5 January 1950
Last Amended: 14 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074791
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188749
Location: Leicester, LE2
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Mary de Castro
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/08/2018
SK 5804 SW
THE NEWARKE (North Side)
Chantry House (Newarke Houses Museum)
(Formerly listed under Castle View)
Circa 1511, three storey stone rubble building with ashlar quoins and windows, slate roof with gable ends. Founded by William Wigston as chantry for two priests. Restored.
Three storeys, four windows, all renewed two-light moulded stone mullion casements rectangular heads with moulded labels, leaded panes. Also renewed central stone doorway with Tudor arch fanlight and label. Two buttresses up to second storey. Moulded stone string at second floor level. Moulded brick cornice. Staircase tower at rear.
Interior: ground floor four-centred arch stone fireplace, close-set timber studding to partition wall. Reconstructed stone newel staircase at rear. First floor two-centred chamfered arch stone fireplace. A.M.
Skeffington House, the Iron Gates, Chantry House and Newarke Wall together with all listed buildings in Castle Street, Castle Yard and Castle View form a group.
Listing NGR: SK5834204099
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings