This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8154 / 52°48'55"N
Longitude: -0.8134 / 0°48'48"W
OS Eastings: 480070
OS Northings: 324866
OS Grid: SK800248
Mapcode National: GBR CPQ.K4Y
Mapcode Global: WHFJV.GHWH
Entry Name: Church of England School and Schoolhouse
Listing Date: 11 September 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074973
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190355
Location: Waltham on the Wolds and Thorpe Arnold, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14
Civil Parish: Waltham on the Wolds and Thorpe Arnold
Built-Up Area: Waltham on the Wolds
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Waltham-on-the-Wolds
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
WALTHAM MELTON ROAD
SK 8024 Waltham on the Wolds
26/427 Church of England School
11.9.79 and Schoolhouse.
School and School-house. Dated 1844. Limestone ashlar, C2O plain-tile roof
and stone ridge stacks. H-plan. Tudor style. Single-storey, 4-bay central
range flanked by cross wings, that to right of 2 storeys; 6 bays in all.
Door to right of centre with double-chamfered stone surround, 4-centred head
and ridged door with ornamental hinges, in gabled stone porch with double-
chamfered doorway, Gillett coat of arms above in circular strap moulding
bearing motto SPES MEA IN DEO and date 1844.
A pair of 2-light stone mullion windows to left with hood moulds, similar 3-
light window to right. Right cross wing (school-house) has 3-light stone
mullion windows to ground floor and similar 2-light window to 1st floor.
Similar 4-light window to left cross wing and bell-cote to right with gabled
ridged stone roof and single bell. Off-set buttress to bell-cote and panel
to cross wing gable with cross and Latin motto. All windows have hollow-
chamfered mullions, arched lights, cut spandrels and hood moulds. All
gables are stone-coped with kneelers and ball finials to apex.
Listing NGR: SK8007024866
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings