History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Bottesford, Leicestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9435 / 52°56'36"N

Longitude: -0.8 / 0°48'0"W

OS Eastings: 480733

OS Northings: 339126

OS Grid: SK807391

Mapcode National: GBR CN6.GJV

Mapcode Global: WHFJ8.P87T

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075095

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190042

Location: Bottesford, Melton, Leicestershire, NG13

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Bottesford

Built-Up Area: Bottesford

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Bottesford St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Staunton in the Vale

Listing Text

(North end)

52/100 Church of St Mary

Parish church. C13 chancel, altered C15. C14 north transept, south aisle
and south porch. North aisle and south transept C15. West tower and spire
originally C15 but completely rebuilt 1876. Many restoration projects in
later C19. Nave roof restored 1967, chancel re-roofed 1968. Ironstone and
limestone. 3 stage west tower, externally of 6 stages defined by string
courses. Stepped angle buttresses. Arched west door with shields in
spandrels under square hood. Shields have emblems of Passion and arms of
de Roos family. Above is 4-light transomed window. 2-light ringing
chamber windows and similar, taller, 2-light belfry windows. Crenellated
parapet with 4 square corner pinnacles. Recessed octagonal crocketed spire
with 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes placed to alternate facets, each of 2
lights. 3-light Perpendicular nave windows under square hoods on label
stops. Tall gabled south porch with moulded arched entrance below upper
Window. Blocked external door on west side led to parvise (porch now open
on interior). Side buttresses and upper reticulated window to east side.
Gabled transepts supported by angle buttresses and lit through 5-light
Perpendicular windows, that to south gable of south transept under pointed
arch, the corresponding north window under a basket arch. South transept
with parapet frieze of shields within quatrefoils. 11 clerestory windows
arranged 2 per bay, all 3-light with lozenge tracery and arched heads below
hoods. Between windows are elaborate gargoyles. Parapet with frieze of
shields within quatrefoils. Parapet carries 2 crocketed pinnacles per bay
and terminates at east returns with larger polygonal pinnacles. Chancel
has 2 tiers of windows to south, all of 3 cusped lights under square heads.
3 to lower stage, 6 to upper. North chancel has Perpendicular 3-bay vestry
with windows of varying design and size. 5-light Perpendicular east
window under depressed arch. Interior. 4-bay arcade of octagonal piers
with moulded polygonal capitals and bases. Double chamfered arches.Wider
quatrefoil piers support transept arches to east. C19 chancel arch with
large coat of arms and initials V R (Queen Victoria). Above are faint
fragments of wall paintings, subject not decipherable, nor date.
Clerestory windows with moulded jambs. Nearly flat nave roof of ties on
wall posts, ridge piece and one pair butt purlins. Restored C15 octagonal
font, the stem of 3 bulbous carved shafts, the bowl with carved flowers and
angels in arched panels. Details are mostly C19. Polygonal timber pulpit
1631: arcaded panels with much floral design; hexagonal stem. North side
of chancel has C13 arcade leading into Perpendicular vestry. Chancel roof
similar to nave. Chancel is crowded with monuments, first to de Roos
family and others, later to Manners family; that is, the Earls and Dukes of
Rutland. Inscription plate to Robert de Roos and wife 1285, with,
probably, a marble figure of Robert. Brasses to Henry de Codynton 1404 and
John Freeman early C15. 2 effigies of knights on chests each side of
altar: William de Roos, 1414, and John de Roos, 1421. Monuments to first
8 Earls of Rutland are positioned further west, the first six of alabaster,
the rest of marble. First Earl, by Richard Parker, 1543. Second Earl
1563. Third Earl by Gerard Johnson, 1591. Fourth Earl also by Gerard
Johnson, 1591. Fifth Earl by Nicholas Johnson, 1612. Sixth Earl, 1632.
Seventh Earl by Grinling Gibbons, 1684. Eighth Earl also by Gibbons, 1684.

Listing NGR: SK8073039126

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.