This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8013 / 52°48'4"N
Longitude: -0.9447 / 0°56'40"W
OS Eastings: 471242
OS Northings: 323158
OS Grid: SK712231
Mapcode National: GBR BNF.7ZL
Mapcode Global: WHFJS.GVCB
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 1 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075141
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189949
Location: Ab Kettleby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14
Civil Parish: Ab Kettleby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Wartnaby
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
AB KETTLEBY CHURCH LANE
SK 72 SW Church of St Michael Church of St Michael
Church. C13, drastically restored 1867-8 by W Gillett and 1948-50. coursed
squared ironstone with limestone dressings, lead roofs to nave, aisle and
porch, slate roof to chancel.
Chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch and W tower.
1-bay chancel has triple stepped faucet E Window with nailhead decoration to
hood mould and 3-light chamfered stone mullion window to S with rectangular
wave-moulded stone surround.
3-bay nave has faucet windows to N with nailhead ornament to hood moulds and
blocked N door with shafts, imposts, round-arched head and hood mould.
Clerestory to S of 2-light chamfered stone mullion windows with rectangular
chamfered surrounds. S aisle has lancet windows with cusped heads and
nailhead to hood moulds. C19 S door with ornamental hinges; renewed doorway
with chamfer and round-arched head. Porch largely rebuilt C19 with sunk
quadrant moulding to basket-arched head of doorway. Small 3-stage truer has
lancet window to bottom stage W similar to those to aisle and twin bell-cote
with ridged stone saddleback roof. C19 moulded stone eaves and stone-coped
gables with kneelers. Prominent square limestone stack above N door with
octagonal stone flue. All lancet windows renewed.
Interior: nave has 3-bay S arcade with circular piers, semi-circular
responds, moulded capitals, polygonal abaci and double-chamfered, mind
arches. Piers have stone seats to moulded bases. SE pier has interlace
omament to capital on S side and upright leaves to nave side. Arches
retain much of original painted decoration in red with separate fleur de lys
to inner surface of SE arch, four-petalled flowers to middle arch, separate
flowering plants to SW arch, chevron ornament to inner chamfer, discs to
outer chamfer and leaf trails between the chamfers. Double-chamfered tower
arch with polygonal responds and moulded capitals, that to left with curved
head and leaves.
Bench ends of c.1500. 2 charity boards, C18 and early C19.
Monuments: Wall monument of limestone to Robert Wartnaby d.1727. Slate
wall monument to Rev. William Cant d.1768 and other members of his family.
Pointed arched brass wall monument on limestone ground with angel holding
inscription scroll to Rosamund Greaves Bingham of Wartnaby Hall d.1863 in
Paris, aged 29.
Buildings of England Leics 1984 p.419.
Listing NGR: SK7124223158
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings