This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.218 / 52°13'4"N
Longitude: -1.2463 / 1°14'46"W
OS Eastings: 451585
OS Northings: 258021
OS Grid: SP515580
Mapcode National: GBR 8SB.XC3
Mapcode Global: VHCVJ.BJZ1
Entry Name: The Grange
Listing Date: 24 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075290
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360588
Location: Hellidon, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11
Civil Parish: Hellidon
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Hellidon St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
13/98 The Grange
House, former rectory and preparatory school. 1850 and 1861 with earlier
origins; some C20 alterations. By William Butterfield for Reverend C.S.
Holthouse. Ironstone ashlar with some sandstone dressings, tile roof, various
stone stacks. Complex plan, basically L-shape. Main range of 2 storeys and attic
and 3 windows, 2-storey wings. Principal range facing garden has 3-light wood
mullion and transom windows to ground floor, three-light casement windows either
side of a 2-light casement window to first floor. These windows have pointed
relieving arches. Gabled half-dormers to attic storey. School-room wing
projecting at right end has 2-storey gabled porch right of centre with
Caernarvon doorway to ground floor, a stone outer staircase to left and 2-light
arched casement window to first floor. To right of porch two 4-light chamfered
mullion windows to ground floor and gabled dormers to first floor either side of
porch. Left of porch 1 and 2-light casement windows to ground floor; a lean-to
with catslide roof in angle between the ranges containing corridor links. At
left side of first floor large half-hipped dormer with 5-light Gothic timber
tracery window. Gable end of principal range faces road and has semi-canted bay
window with steep stone roof to right of large stone stack. To left of gable end
and facing road 2-storey, 1-window entrance wing with gabled timber porch which
has inner and outer plank doors with ornamental hinges, 1-light windows to
either side and 3-light leaded casement window to first floor. Left end
elevation has two-storey canted bay window. Interior: C19 broach-stop chamfered
spine beams. Former school dining hall in ground floor of schoolroom wing
remodelled early C20. School room on first floor above has arch-brace collar
truss roof and fine encaustic tile fireplace with monogram of Reverend C.S.
Holthouse, designed and presented by Minton. The house was described in obituary
of Reverend C. S. Holthouse (A Pilgramage to Hellidon, Northamptonshire Herald,
5 February 1881) as 'one of the happiest specimens of Butterfield's domestic
architecture, shewing in gable and dormer and outside staircase its natural
growth from a small beginning'. The nucleus of the rectory was a small baker's
house purchased by the Reverend C.S. Holthouse, remodelled and extended at a
cost of £1143,15.04.
(Holthouse papers: Northants Record Office).
Listing NGR: SP5158558021
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings