This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1894 / 52°11'21"N
Longitude: -1.1614 / 1°9'40"W
OS Eastings: 457425
OS Northings: 254900
OS Grid: SP574549
Mapcode National: GBR 8SV.M66
Mapcode Global: VHCVR.T7CG
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Last Amended: 24 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075292
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360592
Location: Preston Capes, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11
Civil Parish: Preston Capes
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Preston Capes St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
15/102 Church of St. Peter and St.
Church. C13-C15, restored 1853. Coursed squared ironstone, lead roofs, chancel
tiled. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower. 3-light Perpendicular
east window. North side of chancel wall much rebuilt with single low-side lancet
window to west and signs of other blocked windows. To south a 3-light mullion
window and priest's door to left. Nave has 2 bay clerestory with 2-light mullion
windows with C18 leading, plain coped parapet and 2 C18 lead rainwater heads and
pipes north and south. North aisle has 3-light Decorated east window with
reticulated tracery and hood-mould with label stops, two 2-light Decorated
windows either side of north door. North-west and west windows have 2 lights and
depressed arch heads. South aisle has 3-light Decorated east window with cusped
heads and intersecting tracery, a 3-light arch mullion window with hood-mould, to
right of south porch, a 2-light Decorated window to left. South porch has
double-chamfered door and holy water stoup. South door within has 4-centred arch
head and hood-mould. West and south-west windows of south aisles have similar
windows to those in corresponding positions in north aisle. Both aisles extend
across sides of west tower. 3 stage west tower with pointed arch and 3-light
Perpendicular window above. Belfry stage has 2-light Perpendicular windows.
Angle buttresses and battlements. Interior: C17 communion table. East window
flanked by Commandment, Creed and Lords prayer boards grouped in pairs
vertically and topped by segmental pediments with gilded urns. Chancel roof of
1853. Chancel arch with 3 chamfered mouldings, innermost on polygonal responds.
Nave has 3 bay arcades. Westernmost arches cut off by tower. North arcade has
octagonal piers, double-chamfered arches, moulded capitals and respond at east
end. South arcade has round piers, octagonal abaci and chamfered arches. Nave
roof C19, old lean-to roofs to aisles, that of south aisle with stop-chamfered
ties. Octagonal Perpendicular font with blank tracery patterns to sides, but
built into south-east pier of tower. Some C15 pews. C18 wall monument in
chancel. Painted Carolean Royal Arms in west end of south aisle.
(Buildings of England: Northants, p.378; Kellys Directory for Northants, 1903).
Listing NGR: SP5742554900
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings