This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3393 / 52°20'21"N
Longitude: -0.8184 / 0°49'6"W
OS Eastings: 480600
OS Northings: 271898
OS Grid: SP806718
Mapcode National: GBR CWJ.9X3
Mapcode Global: VHDRM.RGQL
Entry Name: Walgrave Hall Farmhouse
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Last Amended: 19 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075325
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360473
Location: Walgrave, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Walgrave
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Walgrave St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
WALGRAVE HANNINGTON ROAD
SP87SW (East side)
11/218 Walgrave Hall Farmhouse
02/11/54 (Formerly listed as Walgrave
Hall and gatepiers)
Country house now farmhouse. Mid C17, altered C18 and C19. Limestone ashlar and
squared coursed lias with slate roof. Now 3-unit plan, originally larger. 2
storeys with attic, 4-window range. Gabled cross wing to right breaking forward
has 4-light stone mullion windows with transoms to ground and first floor.
Similar blank 2-light window to return wall of cross wing. 3-window range to
left has early C20 casements in original openings with flat arches and
keystones. C19 door to right, probably former window opening, has C20 porch.
Ashlar gable parapets and brick stacks at ridge and end. Side elevation to right
has balnk 2-light stone mullion with transom. Interior: Passage to left of
entrance has large plaster coat of arms of the Langham dated 1674. This area
which is now subdivided originally formed part of the Hall. Entrance hall has 2
openings with semi-circular heads and keystones; similar openings on first floor
landing. Fine staircase c.1630 at rear, around open well with balusters having
Ionic heads and openwork newel posts. The house owned by the Langhams family
originally extended to the left of the present house with a tower in the centre,
according to a C18 drawing.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.441).
Listing NGR: SP8060071898
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings