This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.477 / 52°28'37"N
Longitude: -1.8932 / 1°53'35"W
OS Eastings: 407352
OS Northings: 286566
OS Grid: SP073865
Mapcode National: GBR 619.WY
Mapcode Global: VH9Z3.40HG
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 25 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075690
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216829
Location: Birmingham, B5
Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Martin-in-the-Bull-Ring
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP 0786 NW 34/6
City Centre B5
Parish Church of St Martin
At least late C13 in origin and the mother church of Birmingham. Sandstone.
Large with nave and aisles, new tower and spire. Repaired in late C17 and
late C18. Tower and spire restored by P C Hardwick in 1835-5 and the rest
of the church in 1873-5 demolished, rebuilt and enlarged by the addition
of transepts and an extended east end under the direction of J A Chatwin.
Restored, after bomb damage in 1956-7. Inside, 2 recumbent effigies of the
C14 and one of circa 1400 in the north transept and a fourth of circa 1500
in the south chapel; also the south transept window designed by Edward Burne-Jones
and made by Morris, 1875-80.
Listing NGR: SP0735386557
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings