This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4812 / 52°28'52"N
Longitude: -1.8989 / 1°53'56"W
OS Eastings: 406963
OS Northings: 287032
OS Grid: SP069870
Mapcode National: GBR 608.MG
Mapcode Global: VH9YX.1WHT
Entry Name: Cathedral Church of St Philip
Listing Date: 25 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076173
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217576
Location: Birmingham, B3
Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Philip Birmingham
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
ST PHILIP'S CHURCHYARD
City Centre B2
Cathedral Church of
SP 0687 SE 29/40 25.4.52 St Philip
Designed 1709 and consecrated in 1715, though the tower not completed until 1725.
Raised to cathedral status in 1905. By Thomas Archer, his first big commission,
and of far more than local importance as a major monument of the English Baroque.
Stone, refaced in 1864-9 by J A Chatwin. Restored after war damage, 1947-8.
Rectangular in plan with slight east and west projections representing chancel
and tower; the aisles extend further than the nave at each end to form vestibules
containing stairs to the galleries either side of the tower and vestries either
side of the chancel. The vestries are part of the alterations made to the east
end in 1883-4 by J A Chatwin who also extended Archer's original shallow apsidal
chancel. Tower and porches either side with Borrominesque detail. Side elevations
with arched windows separated by Doric pilasters carrying an entablature and parapet
with urns on the skyline. Inside, a 5-bay arcade, north and south galleries and
plasterwork by Richard Hass. Principal among the furnishings are the organ-case of
1715 by Thomas Schwarbrick of Warwick, the wrought-iron chancel rails in the style
of Tijou or Bakewell of Derby and the east and west stained glass windows of 1885-97
designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones and made by William Morris.
Listing NGR: SP0694987028
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings