This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5486 / 52°32'55"N
Longitude: -1.8921 / 1°53'31"W
OS Eastings: 407415
OS Northings: 294534
OS Grid: SP074945
Mapcode National: GBR 31H.X8
Mapcode Global: VH9YQ.563K
Plus Code: 9C4WG4X5+C5
Entry Name: Maryvale Institute
Listing Date: 25 April 1952
Last Amended: 2 January 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076213
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217475
Location: Birmingham, B44
Electoral Ward/Division: Oscott
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Kingstanding St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/02/2013
SP 09 SE
OLD OSCOTT HILL
Old Oscott (B44)
(Formerly listed as Maryvale Convent (Convent of Mercy))
(Formerly listed as St Mary's Convent of Mercy, Maryvale)
Roman Catholic theological institute, originally RC bishop's house. The oldest part of the building is the 1752 house built for the RC Bishop, Thomas Hornyhold; red brick, 3 storeys, symmetrical 3-bays, 2 windows per bay, articulated by plain pilasters, moulded wood eaves cornice, old tile roof, flanking corniced chimney stacks, sash windows with glazing bars and flat stucco arches and key blocks on ground and first floor; open-well stair and 1752 chapel on second floor, now subdivided but with cornice surviving. 1778 [first Catholic Relief Act] brick chapel, externally plain, with round-arched windows, added at right-angles and open through two storeys with Ionic order, murals, only the classical wooden reredos and a now detached late C17 Flemish baroque altar survive from the various reorderings. John Milner added in 1800 the Sanctuary, in 1809 the long 3-storey wing at right-angles to the original house with simple stick baluster and ramped handrail staircase, and in 1816 Milner added tile external colonnade to link both buildings and a 2-storey lecture room, now reduced to a single storey Doric portico. Also in 1816 Milner added on the second floor the Sacred Heart Chapel, a vaulted room with delicate Gothic stucco detailing; tile stained glass, image of the Sacred Heart, is probably by Eginton, the Birmingham stained glass pioneer. Maryvale is very significant in the history of the Roman Catholic Church in England. It was a Roman Catholic Mission in the C17 and from 1794-1834 the Catholic Seminary of the Midlands. From 1846-48 it was the first Catholic congregation following Newman's conversion.
Source: Mulvey, B. St Mary in the Valley, A History of Maryvale House.
Listing NGR: SP0741594534
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings