This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2682 / 52°16'5"N
Longitude: -1.1177 / 1°7'3"W
OS Eastings: 460307
OS Northings: 263701
OS Grid: SP603637
Mapcode National: GBR 9T8.L8R
Mapcode Global: VHCVD.K8Z1
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076507
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360809
Location: Norton, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11
Civil Parish: Norton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Norton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
NORTON DAVENTRY ROAD
SP66SW (East side)
5/163 Church of All Saints
Church. Cl3, C14 and C15, chancel rebuilt early C18, and again Cl9; church
restored and chancel floor relaid 1898. Ironstone ashlar, coursed squared
ironstone and ironstone rubble, some limestone dressings, copper roofs except
for tiled roofs of chancel and south porch. Chancel, nave, north and south
aisles, north porch/vestry, south porch, west tower. Chancel has 3-light
Perpendicular style Cl9 east window, south-west door with moulded surround and
plank door, stone eaves and stone-coped east gable with kneelers. Nave has
clerestory with 2-light chamfered stone mullion windows with leaded lights,
moulded stone surrounds and hood moulds to north and similar windows to south
alternating with 2-light arch-mullion windows, with plain parapet to north and
battlemented parapet to south. North aisle has 2-light Decorated east window,
3-light Perpendicular windows to north and 2-light Decorated west window with
top circle enclosing 3 trefoils. C19 vestry in position of a north porch with
2-light Decorated style north window. South aisle has 2-light Decorated east
window. 3-light Decorated windows to south with curvilinear tracery and 3-light
Perpendicular west window. Scratch dial to left of south-west window. C13 south
door with shafts and capitals, one with faces, bearing many moulded arch; hood
mould with label stops and head at apex of arch. Double-leaf 10-panel C18 door.
South porch has hollow-chamfered doorway and 2-light cusped window to west side.
Both aisles have early C18 lead rainwater heads and pipes. Painted sundial at
south-west end of clerestory. 3-stage west tower has set-back buttresses to
first stave, lancet window above and to south side, 2-light Decorated bell
openings and battlemented parapet. Most windows have hood moulds, some with
label stops. Interior: single-bay chancel has plaster barrel vault roof with
moulded ridge and wall plates. C19 stain-glass east window of 1847 by Willement.
Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave has fine 6-bay arcades with quatrefoil piers
and capitals and one sunk quadrant moulding to south, 2 sunk quadrants to north,
some partly double-chamfered. Piscina at east end of north aisle with
many-moulded triangular head to east end. South aisle with ogee head.
Double-chamfered tower arch concealed by early C19 west gallery and 2-storey mid
C18 west screen behind organ with round-headed arches with keyblocks, topped by
former reredos with painted and gilded commandment, Lords Prayer and Creed
boards with segmental dentilled arch over central commandment panel and moulded
cornice with central segmental arch. C20 nave roof, C17 tie beam roof to north
and south aisles. Tie beam in vestry inscribed Repaired 1699. Complete scheme of
C19 stained glass with single figures and armorial panels to aisle windows. Late
C17 communion table at east end of north aisle. Octagonal Jacobean pulpit. C18
panelled box pews cut-down to converted to open pews. Fine set of funeral
hatchments. Royal Arms of Queen Anne dated 1709, oil on board, in tower. Good
set of monuments including: brass to William Knight d.1501 and his wife
Katherine d.1504; painted alabaster monument with recumbent praying effigy in
coffered arch flanked by black marble Corinthian columns and outer obelsiks and
topped by armorial panels, to Lady Elizabeth Seymour d.1602, 2nd wife of Sir
Richard Knightley; wall monuments to Dudley Knightley d.1602, Nicholas Breton
d.1624 with broken pediment flanked by cherubs, Ann Breton d.1635 of similar
proportions with broken segmental pediment framing wreathed skull and flanked by
obelisks with diamond bosses supported by cherub's heads; large wall monument to
Anne Verney d.1633 with kneeling figure in round-arched niche with broken
segmental pediment flanked by angels supporting arms; Nicholas Breton d.1658 and
his wife Elizabeth with busts of each and framed by composite columns supporting
broken segmental pediment: Charlotte Botfield d.1825 by William Behnes with
life-size figure of mourning son.
(Buildings of England: Northants, p.359; Kellys Directory for Northants, 1898;
Norton All Saints and Village guide (no date).
Listing NGR: SP6030763701
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings