This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2327 / 52°13'57"N
Longitude: -1.1507 / 1°9'2"W
OS Eastings: 458097
OS Northings: 259727
OS Grid: SP580597
Mapcode National: GBR 8S8.XJQ
Mapcode Global: VHCVL.04HR
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Last Amended: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076538
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360785
Location: Newnham, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11
Civil Parish: Newnham
Built-Up Area: Newnham
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Newnham St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
CHURCH HILL (East side),
Church of St. Michael and All Angels
(Formerly listed as Church of St. Michael)
Church. C14 and C15 with C13 origins, restored C19. Coursed squared ironstone,
red and grey sandstone dressings, some limestone, lead roofs. Chancel, nave,
north and south aisles, south porch and west tower and spire. 2-bay chancel has
5-light east window with intersecting tracery and hood mould, angle buttresses
and between bays of red sandstone and 2-light windows with Decorated tracery
north and south; priest's door to south with pointed head and sunk chamfer. Nave
has clerestory with four 2-light Perpendicular windows north and south with
straight heads and hood moulds and sanctus bellcote to east gable on corbels.
North aisle has 3-light Perpendicular east window, larger 3-light Perpendicular
window to north-east, a 3-light window to north-west with reticulated tracery
and 2-light Perpendicular west window with depressed head. C19 vestry with
gabled tiled roof and one-light window to north. North door within has C13
double-chamfered pointed arch with inner arch resting on moulded capitals and
shafts; hood mould with saw-tooth ornament. South aisle has 3-light
Perpendicular east window and similar window to south-east, 3-light windows
either side of porch with C19 Decorated tracery and 3-light west window with
reticulated tracery. South door has many-moulded arch with 2 orders of fleurons
and hood mould. South porch dated 1619(?) has doorway with round-head arch on
imposts with date stone above, and flanking buttresses. 3-stage tower has lowest
stage open on 3 sides with double-chamfered arches with hood moulds and rib
vault springing from corbel heads with edge ribs and large bell-hole; doors to
nave and smaller door to south to stair turret. Middle stage has niche with
nodding ogee head to west and narrow chamfered rectangular windows with straight
heads north and south. 2-light bell-openings with cusped Y-tracery, battlemented
parapet and recessed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions.
Clerestory, aisles and chancel have plain stone-coped parapets.
chancel has piscina with cusped head and fine Perpendicular roof with moulded
purlins and ridge. Chancel arch has 2 continuous sunk quadrant mouldings. Nave
has 4-bay arcades; that to north with 2 quatrefoil piers of c.1300 (Pevsner);
easternmost pier and those to south aisle C15 and octagonal with polygonal
responds - north-east respond of angel bearing shield. Double-chamfered arches
to north, hollow chamfered to south. Aisle roofs much renewed; north aisle roof
probably C18. Box pews in aisles and at back of church date from re-pewing of
1826. Early C17 communion table. Commandment, Creed and Lords Prayer Boards.
Communion rails with stick balusters. Royal Arms of Queen Anne over west door j
oil on board. Brass to Letitia Catesby made at time of death of her husband
Robert in 1467 placed on wall above pulpit. Wall monument in chancel of
alabaster to Thomas Thornton d.1632 and C19 marble wall tablets to various
owners of Newnham Hall. A Mr. Hussey, architect, was consulted in 1844 and paid
£5 18s 6d, probably R.C. Hussey and responsible for Decorated tracery in north
and south aisles.
(Church Wardens Accounts; Buildings of England: Northants, p,312; A brief guide,
Newnham Parish Church (no date).
Listing NGR: SP5809759727
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings