This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2119 / 52°12'42"N
Longitude: -1.1311 / 1°7'52"W
OS Eastings: 459464
OS Northings: 257434
OS Grid: SP594574
Mapcode National: GBR 8SP.8TS
Mapcode Global: VHCVL.BNWP
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076554
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360721
Location: Everdon, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11
Civil Parish: Everdon
Built-Up Area: Everdon
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Everdon St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
EVERDON HIGH STREET
SP5957 (South side)
22/71 Church of St. Mary
Church. Early C14, restored c.1860 and 1891-92 by Bodley and Garner. Coursed
squared ironstone and ironstone ashlar with some limestone dressings; lead
roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, west
tower. 3-bay chancel has 5-light C19 Perpendicular style window, 2-light windows
with Y-tracery to south, 2 similar windows to north and C19 vestry to
north-east. Nave has clerestory with four 2-light Perpendicular windows with
segmental heads north and south. North aisle has 3-light east and west windows
with reticulated tracery to north, one to west of porch, two to east.
Many-moulded north door has 3 orders of shafts and foliage capitals to left,
plain to right, within gabled north porch with double-chamfered doorway.
One-light cusped windows east and west. South aisle has 4-light east windows
with Curvilinear tracery either side of porch, and 3-light west window with
reticulated tracery. South door has many-moulded arch ornamented with fleurons
innermost, then ballflower and stem with leaves suggesting trailing vine
outermost; 3 shafts and foliage capitals; crocketed ogee hood mould with finial.
South porch has chamfered and shallow hollow-chamfered doorway, inner arch
resting on polygonal capitals and responds; one-light blocked windows east and
west. Sundial above doorway. 3-stage west tower has 2-light Decorated window
(renewed), small one-light cusped windows to north, south and west, and 2-light
Decorated bell-openings . Tower and south aisle diagonal buttresses and
buttresses between bays of chancel and aisles, all off-set. Plain stone coped
parapets throughout except for north porch which is stone coped only, the tower
having renewed pyramidal pinnacles to each corner. All windows have hood moulds
some with fine carved head label stops. Interior: chancel has 3-bay sedilia with
cusped ogee heads and crocheted hood moulds, a many-cusped tomb recess to
north-east and chamfered priest's door to north roof, choir stalls and
organ-case of 1891-2 by Bodley and Garner. Chancel arch has double wave-moulded
arch the innermost on polygonal responds. C14 rood screen. Nave has 4-bay
arcades with sunk chamfered arches on circular moulded capitals and circular
piers with wide fillets. Tie beam roof of 1755. Piscina at east end of north
aisle (south side) and south-east end of south aisel. Octagonal C13 Purbeck
marble font, with 2 blank pointed arches to east side, on renewed stem and
colonettes; C19 timber cover with ogee volutes supporting finial. C17 communion
table in south aisle. Pulpit of 1808, octagonal, on base of 1892. Royal Arms of
George III, oil on canvas, in tower together with painted Charity Board and
funeral hatchment. West gallery of uncertain date, much renewed 1892 with
staircase with turned balusters giving access to roofs. Glazing mostly clear
glass with many old crown glass quarries; some medieval stained glass fragments
including, a Pelican in her Piety in north-west nave window and deer in south
aisle. Stain glass east window of chancel (1906), east window, south aisle
(1921) and other south aisle windows by Burlison and Grylls. Wall monument to
Thomas and Dorothy Spencer, set up 1606, of alabaster with English marble
columns with Corinthian capitals framing inscription. Brasses of 1613 to Adam
Robyns and 1605 to Timothy Dod.
Buildings of England: 1973, p.210; Christopher Dalton, The Church of St. Mary,
Everdon (Guide) 1975, revised 1982).
Listing NGR: SP5946457434
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings