This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.587 / 52°35'13"N
Longitude: 0.8408 / 0°50'26"E
OS Eastings: 592544
OS Northings: 302594
OS Grid: TF925025
Mapcode National: GBR RB7.WYS
Mapcode Global: WHKRB.W7KJ
Entry Name: Church of St. John Evangelist
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076798
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220093
Location: Ovington, Breckland, Norfolk, IP25
Civil Parish: Ovington
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Ovington St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
OVINGTON CHURCH STREET
TF 90 SW
1/56 Church of St. John Evangelist
Parish Church. C12 remodelled c.1300 restored 1867. Rubblestone with ashlar
quoins and white pantiles. West tower and continuous nave and chancel. Square
tower with 2-light west window and belfry windows over flushwork panels with
shields. Single lancet to ringing chamber at north. Staircase turret to south.
Hipped slate roof. South door C12. Single order shafts with incised scalloped
capitals and roll moulded arch with billet. Triangular stoup to right. Nave
south windows varied : square headed 2-light with hood mould, Norman round
headed, pointed lancet and 2-light Y tracery. Chancel with Y tracery: 2-light
to south, 3-light to east, 2-light to north. North nave 2 2-light lozenge
windows flank 3-light Perpendicular under 4-centred arch and C19 hood mould.
One blocked lancet and blocked north door. Boxed eaves. Interior with low
C14 tower arch with wave mouldings. Continuous moulded wall plates with billet,
raised at sanctuary. Wall posts to principals on braces. Secondary rafters
and single moulded butt purlins. Plastered arched ceiling. Low piscina in
chancel. C14 octagonal font on shafted plinth with carved angels and encircled
Listing NGR: TF9254402594
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings