This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5329 / 52°31'58"N
Longitude: 0.8475 / 0°50'50"E
OS Eastings: 593232
OS Northings: 296594
OS Grid: TL932965
Mapcode National: GBR RC0.537
Mapcode Global: VHKBV.MLWM
Plus Code: 9F42GRMW+5X
Entry Name: College Farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076807
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220109
Location: Thompson, Breckland, Norfolk, IP24
Civil Parish: Thompson
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Thompson St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
THOMPSON COLLEGE ROAD
13/72 College Farmhouse.
College, now private house. Founded and built 1350, with later alterations
and additions, by Sir Thomas and John de Shardelow. Flint, brick and stone
construction and pantiled roofs. T plan, originally rectangular. Facade
1700. 2 storeys on brick plinth. Door right of centre with pilastered door-
case under broken pediment. 2 sash windows with glazing bars to right 1804.
2 renewed casements to left and 5 first floor casements in openings made in
1700. Roof line raised. Remains of 2-light transomed dias window with cinque-
foil cusping, now blocked. 3 renewed C19 casements close facade to left.
Gabled roof with panelled off-centre ridge stack c.1700. Internal gable end
stacks. Rebuilt south wall probably truncates original open hall. Rear with
single cinquefoiled lancet to ground floor and top of opposing dias window
above door of 1975. Roof with 2 attic lights. Cross wing probably late C17,
remodelled late C18. French window and upper casement 1975. Remains of C17
mullioned window in centre. C19 sash right. East wall with tumbling in gable.
Late C18 sash with glazing bars to first floor, 1975 copy below. Gabled roof.
North front has gault brick porch with iron twist columns (not in situ) and
pantiled roof. North gable wall rendered to first floor. Round headed lancet
left, blocked trefoil lancet right, both 1350. Interior has fine late C16
dining room. Square panelled, sides divided by single Ionic pilasters below
palmette console. Continuous fluted frieze. Fireplace with overmantel flanked
by Ionic pilasters and containing arms of Futter impaling Bacon. Crossed
ceiling beams with 3 orders of rolls. Minor beams with 2 rolls. Mid C16
doorway to drawing room of stone with 4-centred arch containing continuous
double roll mouldings. Drawing room is original hall now altered. Dado and
south wall panelling 1804. East room of cross wing contains 2 late C17 beams
with ogee stops. Source: George Crabbe, Some Materials for a History of the
Parish of Thompson in the County of Norfolk, Norwich 1892.
Listing NGR: TL9323296594
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings