This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.54 / 52°32'23"N
Longitude: -2.0616 / 2°3'41"W
OS Eastings: 395920
OS Northings: 293572
OS Grid: SO959935
Mapcode National: GBR 4V2.VV
Mapcode Global: VH9YM.6FZ5
Entry Name: Church of St John Junction of St John's Road and Upper Church Lane
Listing Date: 29 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077094
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219368
Location: Sandwell, DY4
Electoral Ward/Division: Princes End
Built-Up Area: Tipton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Tipton St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SANDWELL MB UPPER CHURCH LANE
SO 99 SE
4/147 Church of St John junction
of St John's Road and Upper
Church. 1850s, with tower of 1683 and earlier. Brick with tower of sand-
stone rubble and slate roof. Comprises a west tower, a nave with continuous
chancel, a south porch, and a north porch and vestry. Tower of three stages,
with three string courses and an embattled parapet. Bell openings each of
two chamfered trefoiled lights. West window of one chamfered pointed light.
On the south side there is a blocked doorway. Above is a sundial plaque.
Within its segmental pediment is an inscription: "This steeple was built
Anno Domini 1683 John Nightingale William Clare Church Wardens". The masonry
at the base of the tower is thought to be medieval. The nave is of five bays
of blue bricks recessed between red brick attached piers with a similar eaves
band carried on a corbel table. The windows are paired chamfered lancets with
red brick surrounds and with iron lattice glazing. On the south side the east
bay is covered by a porch under a pitched roof. This has paired east windows
similar to those of the nave. On the north side the east bay is covered by a
rendered addition. Against the north-side of the tower there is a rendered
porch and vestry. The east wall of the chancel has three lancet lights.
Interior: the nave has four bolted queen-post trusses; painted stone font in
a gothic style.
Listing NGR: SO9592093572
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings