This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5059 / 52°30'21"N
Longitude: -1.9974 / 1°59'50"W
OS Eastings: 400275
OS Northings: 289777
OS Grid: SP002897
Mapcode National: GBR 29Z.WL
Mapcode Global: VH9YV.B8FT
Entry Name: Steward Aqueduct (Approximately 400 Metres West of Spon Lane South) Birmingham Canal Wolverhampton Level
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077161
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219242
Location: Sandwell, B66
Electoral Ward/Division: St Pauls
Built-Up Area: Smethwick
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Smethwick The Resurrection
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SANDWELL MB BIRMINGHAM CANAL
SP 08 NW
Wolverhampton Level, Smethwick
9/38 Steward Aqueduct (approx
30.3.87 400m west of Spon Lane South)
Aqueduct. Built in 1828 by Thomas Telford to carry the Old Main Line
(Wolverhampton Level), opened in 1769 and re-aligned in 1790, over his
New Main Line, on the Birmingham Level. Brick in English bond with sand-
stone dressings. Two elliptical skew arches with chamfered voussoirs.
Moulded string course dies into rusticated quoins of abutments. Ashlar
capping course carries cast-iron railings with intersecting arched heads.
Buttresses added to central cutwaters at uncertain date.
Listing NGR: SP0027589777
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings