This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.628 / 52°37'40"N
Longitude: 0.755 / 0°45'17"E
OS Eastings: 586554
OS Northings: 306920
OS Grid: TF865069
Mapcode National: GBR R9Q.CP1
Mapcode Global: WHKR3.K6QN
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 23 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077229
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221038
Location: North Pickenham, Breckland, Norfolk, PE37
Civil Parish: North Pickenham
Built-Up Area: North Pickenham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Pickenham North St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
NORTH PICKENHAM THE STREET
TF 80 NE
Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. Largely rebuilt 1863 by D. Male, but retaining much of earlier
west tower and north transept. Flint with limestone dressings. Roof slated,
with crested ridge to nave and chancel; copper covered south aisle roof.
West tower, nave, chancel, north transept, south aisle, south porch. South
porch with angle-buttresses to gable; crocketted pinnacles and gable cross.
Niche over doorway with cusped ogee head. Two-light west window, blocked
east window opening. Windows generally have 19th century Decorated tracery
with stilted hood moulds and head stops. East gable has a plinth with an
inscription recording the rebuilding work of 1863. Staged buttresses to
north and south walls. North transept has parapeted gable with staged angle
buttresses; four-light Perpendicular north window and three-light
Perpendicular east window. North wall of nave has central buttress dividing
window bays above which rises a chimney stack, with octagonal stone shaft.
Angle buttress at north west corner containing the date 1863. West tower
largely medieval with restored openings. Staged angle buttresses to west
wall. Square stair turret at south-east corner. Castellated parapet. North
transept contains wall monuments. Very low doorway into east wall of tower
with single hollow chamfer to arch. Sanctus bell opening above tower arch.
Listing NGR: TF8655406920
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.