This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4294 / 52°25'45"N
Longitude: 1.0421 / 1°2'31"E
OS Eastings: 606917
OS Northings: 285620
OS Grid: TM069856
Mapcode National: GBR TH3.L98
Mapcode Global: VHL90.06SG
Entry Name: Kenninghall Place
Listing Date: 21 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077419
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220567
Location: Kenninghall, Breckland, Norfolk, NR16
Civil Parish: Kenninghall
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Kenninghall St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 08 NE KENNINGHALL
3/48 Kenninghall Place
Service wing of Palace of Dukes of Norfolk (remainder destroyed c.165O), now
domestic. 1505-25 with later alterations. Brick with internal timber
partitioning and plain tiled roof. 2 storeys and attic with polygonal corner
shafts annulated at first floor with bell moulding at which point diameter of
shaft decreases (no shaft at N.E.). South front retains diaper brickwork at
west and C18 string course to east at first floor, otherwise all fenestration
and 2 doors early 1980's. Remains of numerous doorways and C16 or C17 windows,
all blocked. Gabled roof with one C20 gabled dormer. Ridge stack right of
centre and at internal east gable. West wall with diaper brickwork largely
intact. Ground floor 3-light arched brick window under square rebated hood
truncated below light heads to form C20 door. 4-centred first floor window
opening with C19 casement. Blocked C17 attic window and stepped gable.
North elevation 2 western bays rendered and altered. C20 gabled outbuilding
abuts facade. To east ground floor 2 C19 or C20 casements and 6 blocked C16
window and door openings. First floor retains 5 C16 window of 2 or 3 lights
of which 3 retain brick mullions and arched intersecting heads within bowtell
and casement jambs. East gable wall scarred by blocked original openings.
Interior. Kitchen : cruciform bridging beams and cross joists, the former
moulded with roll, nave and hollow, each element separated by 90° nick; Door
to south with chamfered rere arch. Lounge : studded west wall with sinking
wall plate; rebuilt fireplace with bressummer below additional studywork;
bridging beams as kitchens. 2 rooms east of stack now one : fireplace with
bressummer; plain chamfered bridging beam to west of screen of studwork
(relocated), moulded bridging beam as kitchen to east. Inserted staircase by
stack leads to first floor passage from lounge. Narrow passage defined by
timber studs and 4-centred arches by north windows, widened late C18. North
windows roll moulded on interior. West room : moulded cross joists as kitchen
and remains of 2 3-light 4-centred windows. Other bedrooms substantially similar.
Roof of plain queen post trusses with arched braces to canted collars, butt purlins
at collars, through purlins below. Arched windbracing and chamfered principals.
Ridge piece. Common rafters C20.
Listing NGR: TM0691785620
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.