This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8283 / 52°49'41"N
Longitude: 0.5088 / 0°30'31"E
OS Eastings: 569119
OS Northings: 328592
OS Grid: TF691285
Mapcode National: GBR P47.PFP
Mapcode Global: WHKQ0.S5GL
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdelene
Listing Date: 15 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077615
English Heritage Legacy ID: 222155
Location: Sandringham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE35
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Sandringham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Sandringham with West Newton and Appleton
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 62 NE
2/47 Church of St. Mary
Parish church, medieval, restored by S.S. Teulon 1855 and A. Blomfield 1890.
Dark shell carstone with stone dressings, tiled roof. West tower, nave,
chancel and south porch; additions of south transept, north aisle and organ
bay, vestibule to south chancel. Tower with stepped diagonal buttresses,
embattled parapet with carstone flushwork, crocketted finials, gargoyle to
south; polygonal turret to south-east; west window of 3 lights with panel
tracery under basket head, retangular sound holes, segmental headed
traceried double square bell openings and clock face of 1898 to all 4 faces.
C15 2 storeyed porch with diagonal buttresses, 4-centred arch with round
shafts part renewed, carstone flushwork to either side, central tall niche
above with ogee head, flanking trefoil headed lights; single trefoil headed
lights to porch returns. Porch interior: roof renewed, floor to upper
storey lost, reset marble slab now mural with brass arms and inscription
to Wm. Cobbis, 1546; south doorway with continuous moulded 4-centred arch.
South nave window of 3 lights with panel tracery under 4-centred head.
South transept of 1890 with similar window reset, both with figure stops;
C19 2-light window with panel tracery to east of transept. South chancel
with C19 single light with tracery of 2 daggers. Vestibule c1896 across
priests door, in carstone with stone embattled parapet, 2-light window to
left, door to right, vestibule the private entrance of H.M. Queen. C19 set
back angle buttresses to chancel, 3-light window with panel tracery, 1909.
C19 additions to north: vestry with embattled parapet, 2-bay north aisle
with 2 gables and window as south aisle, gabled organ bay with blocked
doorway, all with diagonal buttresses. C19 gable crosses to porch, chancel
and nave. Interior: arch braced nave roof with angel corbels, gilded
bosses and quatrefoil frieze of 1921; continuous 4-centred arches to 2 bay
north arcade and to south transept of 1890; arch in north aisle between
bays; chamfered chancel arch with polygonal jambs, painted hammerbeam chancel
roof of 1890; tall tower arch with continuous roll and wave mouldings;
panelling to nave, C15 style painted panelling to chancel with Gothick
canopies and saints of 1920, panelling to tower with gilded frieze and
angels. C15 glass of saints in tracery panels of south window and north
west window of aisle, some C17 glass in north aisle. Silver reredos of 1911
showing the Appearance of the Risen Christ inscribed "IN MEMORY OF EDWARD
VII THE PEACEMAKER", silver altar of 1920 incorporating the Royal achievement;
metal rails with silver angels; Wineglass pulpit of 1924 with silver panels;
10 relief rondels around walls depicting members of the Royal family from
Princess Alice 1879 to King George VI in bronze 1952. P. Ashton: A Guide
to Church of St. Mary Magdelene, Sandringham, 1957 Pitkin Pictorial.
Listing NGR: TF6911928592
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings